Do any bachmann steam locomotives make steam in ho?

Started by Notch_miller, August 30, 2014, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notch_miller

I have just bought a bachmann ho 0-6-0 and wanted to know if it smokes or any steam engines that do smoke.

ACY

It includes a little bit of smoke fluid in a dropper to get you started. However, it usually is best to avoid using the smoke fluid since it is more difficult to keep the track clean as a result.

union pacific 4014

Jerrys HO

Quote from: ACY on August 30, 2014, 02:10:17 PM
It includes a little bit of smoke fluid in a dropper to get you started. However, it usually is best to avoid using the smoke fluid since it is more difficult to keep the track clean as a result.

Let's not assume it has a smoke unit as both of mine do not. Most of the Bachmann DCC units do not have the smoke units. If you go and purchase the fluid and pour it in the stack without a smoke unit you may or can damage something inside.

Jerry

rogertra

Smoke units are toy train gimmicks designed to impress young kids.

In the smaller scales, like HO, they don't produce realistic smoke, tend to coat the tops of locomotives equipped with them in oil and do the same thing to the track and, in time,  everything else on your layout.  Follow all the advice below, don't use it or remove it.

AKAIC, they are not a selling point, if fact, quite the opposite.  I see them as a needless gimmick that just jacks up the retail cost.

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 30, 2014, 05:53:19 PM
Let's not assume it has a smoke unit as both of mine do not. Most of the Bachmann DCC units do not have the smoke units. If you go and purchase the fluid and pour it in the stack without a smoke unit you may or can damage something inside.
Let me guess you have a Porter or Saddle Tank?
At any rate there is a 99.9% chance the OP has a standard issue Bachmann 0-6-0 (with tender) with smoke, even the DCC models of these also have smoke.
Also if it is the Porter or Dockside, even if he put smoke fluid inside the stack it wouldn't do anything to harm the locomotive, it could only make a mess potentially and waste the smoke fluid. But then if it wasn't a locomotive with smoke, he wouldn't have any smoke anyways since none would be included.

Jerrys HO

QuoteLet me guess you have a Porter or Saddle Tank?
At any rate there is a 99.9% chance the OP has a standard issue Bachmann 0-6-0 (with tender) with smoke, even the DCC models of these also have smoke.
Also if it is the Porter or Dockside, even if he put smoke fluid inside the stack it wouldn't do anything to harm the locomotive, it could only make a mess potentially and waste the smoke fluid. But then if it wasn't a locomotive with smoke, he wouldn't have any smoke anyways since none would be included.

Don't get your panties all bunched up.
I have a USRA 0-6-0 Vandy tender DCC UP  no smoke
Sound Value 2-6-0 no smoke  not a 0-6-0 I know but same frame
0-6-0 DC  Rio Grande slope tender no smoke.
NO PORTERS or SADDLE'S

I also said most, I did not say ALL.  I never had the shell off so I don't know if anything can be damaged, just thought it would be better safe than sorry.

I was trying to protect the op's investment since we had very little to go on (item #,DCC,etc.). If he bought it new in box it should state if it smokes or not.

That's what's wrong with this board, everyone takes offense to someone else trying to help another as if their answer is the only one!

Jerry

Joe323

Depending on the model there is a little switch in the cab that turns the smoke unit on.or off personally. I just turn  it off and forget about it.

wiley209

My Bachmann Plus Consolidation 2-8-0 steam engine and tender had a smoke unit. It was a nice effect, but it would smell funny after a while, and then I eventually removed it when I learned the smoke would be bad for the track. Pretty simple to remove on this model actually.