News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DM&IR Yellowstone

Started by clan line 35028, September 09, 2014, 05:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clan line 35028

Dear Bach man.
I am wondering if you guys will release a M-3 M-4 version of the B&O EM-1 with the centipede tender and the DUluth Missabe & Iron Range R.R markings and yellowstone wings. if not is it possible to get a seperate adaptable centipede tender so i can convert a EM-1 to a Missabe road yellowstone?

ACY

You can purchase any centipede tender and modify it to make the locomotive you desire. All you need to do is either modify the wires going to the locomotive or going to the tender. Using parts available from Bachmann you can likely hardwire in new sockets or connectors. You may need to install or modify the drawbar as needed. It is not that difficult of a job. Finally you would just need to letter the locomotive and tender as desired.
At this point even if Bachmann were to take your suggestion, it would be 2-3 years before you would be able to get the locomotive and/or tender, so you are best off to do it yourself especially since it isn't very difficult.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: ACY on September 09, 2014, 06:05:49 PM
You can purchase any centipede tender and modify it to make the locomotive you desire. All you need to do is either modify the wires going to the locomotive or going to the tender. Using parts available from Bachmann you can likely hardwire in new sockets or connectors. You may need to install or modify the drawbar as needed. It is not that difficult of a job. Finally you would just need to letter the locomotive and tender as desired.
At this point even if Bachmann were to take your suggestion, it would be 2-3 years before you would be able to get the locomotive and/or tender, so you are best off to do it yourself especially since it isn't very difficult.

It would actually be more difficult than you say it would be. I have seen two of the three surviving DM&IR M-3/M-4 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone types (which aslo happen to be the only three engines of that wheel arrangement left in America, Canada and Mexico and all in Duluth, MN; Proctor, MN; and Two Harbors, MN [the ones I have seen are the ones in Duluth and Two Harbors]) and there are quite a few differences in design from the B&O EM-1 and the DM&IR M-3/M-4. Here are some pictures to show the differences.

DM&IR M-3/M-4
http://www.american-rails.com/images/THS52149.jpg
http://engineeringartwork.com/images/dm-ir_2-8-8-4_yellowstone_locomotive_600px.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1279/4702066732_92632f61a6_z.jpg

B&O EM-1
http://www.brasstrains.com/images/products/033910/DSC02078.jpg I understand this is a picture of a model of an EM-1 but this was the best front view image of an EM-1 as I could find.
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/80407_1468862_Qty1_3.jpg

As you can see by the pictures, The front would need to be changed quite a bit from the fresh out of the box appearance by removing the B&O herald from the front and adding airpumps, changing the area down above the pilot (in addition to the pilot itself), changing the headlight for an accurate DM&IR one, removing one smokestack and changing the box on the smokebox in front of the smokestacks to a feedwater heater and adding the piping for the feedwater heater, and changing the cab for an all-weather cab of DM&IR style.

ACY

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on September 09, 2014, 08:17:47 PM
It would actually be more difficult than you say it would be.
I was saying just to switch out the B&O tender included with the locomotive for a centipede tender as the DM&IR used. Granted to get a model that is completely accurate he would need to make the further modifications himself as the chances Bachmann makes another mold just for the DM&IR is not likely due to cost related issues, mainly not a large enough amount of people will purchase the locomotive to offset the cost of production. So that leaves him with the difficult task you describe if he wants to be 100% accurate or switch the tenders and re-letter it and call it close enough for his purposes.

Jhanecker2

Depending  how much a rivet counter he is and what  skill level he has , he still has a better chance of acquiring something close than to wait  for Bachmann to spend  a  fortune  on a relatively  rare engine . John2.

clan line 35028

that is the benefit with the DM&IR yellowstones. you can see all of them in 1 day. it takes a week to see all the Big Boys. but for me the best option is to just start off making the minor changes of the bat. such as head light and tender. the challenger centipede tender in scale is actually 1 foot 5 inches longer then the M-3/M-4 tender. so slowly but surely. i would get it to look just like the real thing. its a good thing i have a few friends in the missabe historical society to help with finding the proper conversion parts. but as a college student, it may take me a year just to get the model and tender.

GN.2-6-8-0

Or he could simply buy one of the Akane M4s and convert it to DCC & Sound like I did!
there's not really that much difference in price.

Rocky Lives

Doneldon

GN-

That's true and he'll have a quality loco when he gets done. The Akane Yellowstones run very well, in my experience,
and they capture the massive aura of their prototype. I'm practically in love with mine. Can't you tell?
                                                                                                                                                        -- D

rogertra

Fortunately, or should that be "unfortunately" as a Canadian modeller the need for articulated steam power is not a requirement as, apart from two classes of 0-6-6-0 helpers, totalling 41 engines built by the CPR for service on the "Big Hill" out of Field BC, there were no articulated steam used in Canada.  Discounting logging Shays of course and one, I think, Shay built for the CPR.

The CPR engines were converted in 1916/17 into 2-10-0s for use on transfer trains between the various Montreal Yards and other locations in eastern Canada.

http://trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/cpr_steam/decapod.htm

Cheers

Roger T.

GN.2-6-8-0

Another thing to keep in mind is that the EM1 was actually the smallest of all the Yellowstone's built.
Rocky Lives

clan line 35028

I am not to sure of brass. I was looking into it at one time but after major problems with my other brass models occured. I would rather go through the conversion process of a non brass locomotive.

uscgtanker

I'm clan lines brother I have the prints of the M-3 M-4 class locomotive. The only difference I see in tenders is the top gear. the auger motor is at top and curves instead of straight bends. the difference of 1' is with a knuckle on. otherwise it's a perfect match. besides that point the em1 has a lower boiler pressure then the M-4, but in modeling point detail doesn't have to be perfect. think of a 2 foot rule view point. if it looks good then and operates like prototypical with 120 or more ore cars go with it.

GN.2-6-8-0

Tend to agree that the EM1 would be a excellent starting point
finding a tender with full electrical pick ups might be the hardest part. Thinking if either a challenger or big boy one would be best. Then a all weather cab either the plastic or the brass one available thrum I believe precision scale would work. You will of course notice the front mounted dual air pumps on the smoke box front' also available.
I would recommend the small sand domed version of the EM1 to eliminate the large covers extending from the front sand dome.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
Rocky Lives

Doneldon

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on September 12, 2014, 08:21:40 PM
finding a tender with full electrical pick ups might be the hardest part.

GN-

It's not hard to convert a tender to all-wheel electrical pick-up so don't let that slow you down.

-- D

ryeguyisme

If the Bachmann makes a DM&IR M-3 or M-4, I'd be willing to purchase a couple, the EM-1 doesn't fit any of my needs, and I was really surprised they came out with an EM-1 instead of the sought after DM&IR yellowstones