News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

passenger cars

Started by union pacific 4014, September 10, 2014, 05:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 4014

how much should passenger cars weigh ? and how do you keep them from tipping to one side or the other ?

rogertra

Quote from: union pacific 4014 on September 10, 2014, 05:05:57 PM
how much should passenger cars weigh ? and how do you keep them from tipping to one side or the other ?

Google NMRA standards.

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

If you add several ounces of lead weights the cars will not tip and track better.

Doneldon

Quote from: union pacific 4014 on September 10, 2014, 05:05:57 PM

4014-

The weight of HO passenger cars is calculated the same as all rolling stock: One ounce plus 1/2 ounce for every inch of length. Thus, a passenger car can weigh anywhere from about four ounces (for a very short, early car about 40 feet long) to nearly seven ounces (for a full-length modern car at around 85 feet long). It's an easy formula but you'll have to do your own math since we don't know what length your passenger cars are.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

union pacific 4014

would  adding interiors help?  these car are ihc  and don't have interiors in them

ACY

Quote from: union pacific 4014 on September 10, 2014, 06:34:25 PM
would  adding interiors help?  these car are ihc  and don't have interiors in them
This would be negligible and have no effect unless they were made of brass or lead or other metal. But the ones you have in mind are likely plastic or resin.

union pacific 4014

there plastic  and the cars don't have any weights that i can see

richg

rogertra

Quote from: richg on September 10, 2014, 09:29:52 PM
Wobble. Read about this issue many years ago in a paper mmr magazine.

http://modeltrains.about.com/od/customizingmodeltrains/qt/Fixing-A-Wobbly-Train-Car.htm

Rich

Been doing this to all my cars for donkey's years.  I read it in MR Magazine.

Brake wheel or "B" end tight the other end, the "A" end, loose.

Yes, freight cars have an "A" and "B" end people.  Just like locos have an "A" end marked.  If they didn't how would people know what end needed work?

"Fix the front left axle journal."  If a freight car didn't have an "A" and a "B" end, how would you know which is the front left axle journal?  However, Fix the "A" end front axle left journal." now makes sense.  Looking from the "B" end towards the "A" you now know left from right, just as looking from the rear of a diesel to the "F" end tells you left from right.  :)

Now, how many people knew that freight cars had an "A" and "B" end?  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Roger-

Sorry, Roger. I knew it already, too. And for a long time. I think this is widely known among railfans and model rails.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on September 11, 2014, 05:29:49 PM
Roger-

Sorry, Roger. I knew it already, too. And for a long time. I think this is widely known among railfans and model rails.

-- D

Us more serious ones, perhaps.  But for the vast majority, I don't think so.  :-)

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

Quote from: rogertra on September 11, 2014, 03:53:35 AM
[

Cheers

Roger T.

actually certain cars also have a c end. this would be on articulated cars, where the c end is the one with the articulated joint.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on September 12, 2014, 04:50:17 PM
Quote from: rogertra on September 11, 2014, 03:53:35 AM
[

Cheers

Roger T.

actually certain cars also have a c end. this would be on articulated cars, where the c end is the one with the articulated joint.

I did not know that, thanks.

Cheers

Roger T.