News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

East Broad Top #11

Started by bob kaplan, September 01, 2014, 05:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Lee Rainey's EAST BROAD TOP has a builder photo of #11 at Baldwin in 1908. (pg90)  The engine has a metal cab at the time of "birth."

IMAGES OF RAIL: THE EAST BROAD TOP (Kenneth C. Springirth) page 26, has a photo of her in the "early 1930's at Rockhill Furnace round house...."with most certainly a smaller wooden cab.

I thought that this would never have been done....why would a company go from a metal to a wood cab?  Any photos of #11 other than the IMAGES one show her with a metal cab....but I don't think there are many photos of her at all.....Anyone any idea?   Thanks.

ebtnut

Any way you can post the photo?  Sometimes the caption writers don't quite get their facts straight.

bob kaplan

might this work?   Here she is with the wood cab....all other pic I have seen show the metal

http://s828.photobucket.com/user/bobkap2010/media/EBTengine2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

ebtnut

Interesting.  Had not seen that photo before.  I can only guess, but it may be that the original cab got damaged and the EBT shops built a new wood cab as a stopgap until a new steel one could be ordered from Baldwin.  I'll query the FEBT board and see if any info turns up.

bob kaplan

thanks very much....will be interesting to find out anything.
b

ebtnut

Bob:  Turns out I was kind of right - the caption mis-identifies the loco.  It is in fact 4-6-0 No. 4, not No.11.  A couple of the EBT's Ten-wheelers had a big space between the second and third drivers.  In the pic, with the drive gear in shadow, it looks like a trailing truck. 

bob kaplan

Ah ha.....you are very astute!....nicely done!.....and that would surely make a great BACHMANN model.
...in large scale of course.
b

Doneldon

Quote from: ebtnut on September 10, 2014, 08:49:03 AM
A couple of the EBT's Ten-wheelers had a big space between the second and third drivers.

ebt-

This is true of many, maybe most ten-wheelers.

--D