News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kadees on a Bachmann Lyn?

Started by David Meashey, October 13, 2007, 09:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Meashey

Hi All;

Today I dug out my REA FA1 (Yeah, it's pre-Aristo Craft) to make a wheel center-to-center measurement for a friend. In the process I also uncovered my Bachmann Lyn 2-4-2t. I put Kadees on the FA1 while I had it out, and also looked at the Lyn to see how hard it would be to add Kadees to it. It looks like a pretty straight forward job.

Now here's the rub. The Lyn only has a couple of hours running time on it, and it ran well during those hours. BUT, I have read a lot at various sites that claims this locomotive is a real loser. The locomotive will probably never see more than light duty, but I still hate the thought of putting Kadees on a potential mantlepiece queen.

Your thoughts and experience please. Are the Kadees worth a go?

Thanks for your input,
David Meashey

Curmudgeon

Survival of the fittest.
If the plastics (particularly the motor case halves) have not crumbled by now, they will probably be okay.
Noisy and FAST, and as long as you remember there are NO PARTS and haven't been for A LONG TIME, if you use Kadees and want to ever drag this out and run it, what's the cost?
If it fails, pull the Kadees off and stick them on something else.

David Meashey

Thanks, Dave!

I had the locomotive on its back, and all the plastic looks brand new.  I guess it's worth a go.  Like you wrote, if it fails, it will still look pretty on a siding or as a heavy flat car load.

Yours,
David Meashey

glennk28

Kadee #779 would be the easiest--they screw/bolt on the face of the pilot beams, with a #835 coupler  gj