News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis Wiring

Started by Flagman46, September 29, 2014, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flagman46

I have a 6' X10' L-shaped layout in a figure 8.  I am considering the purchase of a Dynamis System. 
Do I need to install buss wiring if I buy the Dynamis?

rogertra

Quote from: Flagman46 on September 29, 2014, 06:41:21 PM
I have a 6' X10' L-shaped layout in a figure 8.  I am considering the purchase of a Dynamis System. 

Can't speak to Dynamis as I run NCE but AFAIK, all DCC is made easier with bus wiring rather than block wiring.  From the twin bus you solder a wire to each and every section of rail as this gives you better and more reliable DCC electrical contact, rather than relying on rail joiners.  This is where flex track has the advantage over set track, no matter the brand, as you get longer sections of rail.  In addition, flex track looks way better.  :)

Of course, depending on what brand of set track you may care to use, you can solder the sections together to get long continuous rails. That's still a lot of extra soldering though that flex track negates.

Cheers

Roger T.

ALCO0001

If your benchwork is sectional like it should be each section gets at least 1 buss feeder even if your using flex track .sometimes it is better to be safe

then sorry.  Sometimes solder joints crack and corrode a little and then what you have is a section that has a voltage drop that will make you lose

power and then you will have to find that bad joint that can be frustrating to say the least .I have Dynamis operating a mile and a half scale 2 track

main line  Dogbone  style layout with a small interchange yard flex track all soldered with feeders in every section and Dynamis has plenty of power to do the job to run sound engines with no problem.
Jack 8)

Doneldon

Quote from: Flagman46 on September 29, 2014, 06:41:21 PM
I have a 6' X10' L-shaped layout in a figure 8.  I am considering the purchase of a Dynamis System.  

Flag-

I would. DCC demands an excellent, uninterupted power supply. You could probably get by with one or two feeders at first but, over time, electrical continuity through rail joiners will deteriorate and you'll start to experience unfriendly little gremlins which can be the devil's own work to correct on a completed system.

I like to use conductive grease in all rail joints and use feeders soldered rail joiners often enough that I never have more than one rail joiner before there is a hard-wired feeder. I haven't found that soldered feeders fail if they are done right the first time. That means carefully cleaning each surface to be soldered, tinning the surfaces and then joining them. If the joint isn't bright and shiny, desolder it, clean it up and do it over.
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D