FMW Extended Knuckles for Forney uncoupling problems

Started by Sherwood, October 03, 2014, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherwood

Has anyone tried the Foothill Model Works extended knuckle on the Forney rear (or front) coupler FMW 4008 or 4009 to overcome the problem of uncoupling over uneven track?  My 15 year old "temporary" layout with EZ track has a couple humps in it where the rear coupler up and down swing that is exaggerated by the length of the Forney causes it to uncouple.  I can't run it backwards because it derails on the EZ track switches, pluse there is no reverse headlight.   (I have tried putting extra screws to push down the high spots, but then it pops up somewhere else a few months later.  To save weight on a portable temporary layout, it is just homasote, and it is slowly shrinking while the EZ track is not.)

I don't have a problem withcars being pushed off on curves, its just that the coupler lifts right out of the mating car over a couple humps, so it seems like this would be a simple solution.  I am not intersted in cutting it up into a separate tender loco as I am trying to keep the SR&RL look.  If anyone has tried it, did it work and was the 4008 enough or did you use the 4009? 

ksivils

I have used the longest version, don't recall which part number it is. Works like a charm.

Takes a little effort to install ON the coupler, but once on, just put your coupler back.

No more uncoupling issues.

Much needed part AND best of all it is a prototypical solution to the problem of couplers parting on rough track or with too heavy loads compressing truck springs.