News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Box Car sizes?

Started by Model Tug, March 14, 2008, 12:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Tug

In the Bachmann catlog there two different box cars.
The first is 1:20.3 scale 20ft box cars P/N series #953xx

The second listing is "Large Scale box cars P/N series #933xx without a SCALE or DIMENSION
Can someone tell me the Scale and dimensions for the #933xx series?

Thanks
Rod

Jon D. Miller

Actually there are three box cars offered by Bachmann.

953xx
933xx
880xx

The 933xx is generally accepted to be 1:22.5 scale.  These cars are 15 1/8" long, 3 5/16" wide, 4 3/8" height.

The 880xx is the Spectrum series of 1.20.3 scale.  These cars are 17 7/8" long, 4 5/8" wide, 5" height.

These are car body dimensions. Height was measured from bottom of end beam to top of roof walk.

Don't own any 953xx box cars.  There has been debate that these cars are not 1:20.3.  Whatever their scale, they are really small.

These measurements do not account for grab irons, brake staffs, etc., or height of car mounted on their trucks.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

glennk28

The 953xx cars are real old-timers--best suited for operation with the Baldwin 8-18C 4-4-0 and 8-18D 2-6-0.  Size scales out close to early D&RG cars as published in Prof. Sloan's "Century plus Ten of Rio Grande Freight Cars".  Likewise for the gon and flat car of the same size.  gj

Model Tug

Thank you guys for the prompt replies. Now for another question.
What scale are the "kit" box cars #98911?
How does a kit box car compare to a ready made one?
Thanks
Rod

glennk28

I recall those as being the original "Big Hauler" box cars.  gj

Jon D. Miller

The Kit cars, reintroduced by Bachmann some time ago are exactly the same at the 933XX cars.  Decorated or kit they are all considered Big Hauler cars.

JD

Great Western

Hi Rod,

I have around 20 items of the 93XXX, Big Hauler stock plus two "Annie" locos.  I got it all just before the newer 1:20.3 started to make its appearance.

The 93XXX Big Hauler rolling stock is cheaper and I feel blends well with my  1:29 models for size.  Although I do not mix the two sizes of rolling stock I do sometimes haul the Bachmann stock with a small 1:29 Aristo Centre Cab switcher.  To my eyes it doesn't look out of place (even if it is prototypically incorrect).

I therefore have stuck to these two Manufacturers ranges and I have accumulated more than enough to run a small railroad.  ;)
Best wishes,    Alan

Jon D. Miller

Here is one size comparison.  Spectrum 1:20.3 on left, Big Hauler 1:22.5 in middle, Aristo-Craft 1:29 on right.

You can run anything with anything.  It just doesn't look to hot!  Note the difference in the Big Hauler box car and that of the 1:29 Aristo.

JD

Kevin Strong

Here's a link to a recent discussion over on MLS about the dwarfish and misnomered "1:20" equipment from Bachmann:
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/17/postid/11549/view/topic/Default.aspx

The "small" stuff does measure similar in size to some early (c. 1870) freight equipment--scaling nominally at 6' wide by 20' long, but they are not 1:20 models of this stuff. The box car is far too low for a person to be able to stand even hunched over inside, and things like the grab irons, etc. are not the right size and/or spacing. (That, and early narrow gauge equipment was surprisingly sparse when it came to things like grab irons, etc.)

Later,

K

Model Tug

Thanks everyone for the information.
I am just starting out in "G"
I have a 4-6-0 #81099 Annie, one Orchard Supply Hardware Box car #93396, 2 log cars #98490 and a 4 wheel caboose #93114.
I am planning on adding a few more box cars etc and a couple of passenger cars in the future. I also own a Two truck shay #82199. To me all the equipment looks good and operates good. I just want to avoid anything that is too far out of scale with what I currently own.I am not a rivet counter but I want to keep everything "reasonable" looking together.
Again Thank You,
Rod

trainstrainstrains

I have been warned this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days so I'l start a new one and just call it size.