News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Berkshire 2-8-4

Started by gtwfan, October 08, 2014, 02:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtwfan

Two questions. Has anyone removed the cab from the HO Berkshire? I want to replace it with a vestibule type cab (modifying a NP style for the DT&I #700). If so, what's the trick? Secondly, this loco is DCC Onboard, do insulated wheelsets on the tender all belong on the same side of the trucks? I removed them to lubricate (had a squeaky wheel), but after re-assembly, the loco shorts my command station (using Lenz system). Thanks in advance for advice on these issues.   Gerry S. 

Irbricksceo

I've never removed the cab but you are dead on about the tender wheels. Bachmann (and most manufactures to my knowledge) Only pick up from one rail per truck, so it is important that the Insulated sides be correct.  I've just looked at my Berk, the insulated on the FRONT truck is on the right hand side, the rear truck on the left.
Modeling NYC in N

electrical whiz kid

With respect to the engineer's side being right side?
Rich C.

rogertra

No need to remove wheels to lubricate them.  Just a small drop of oil applied with say the end of pin onto the axle where it goes into the journal box is good enough.

Cheers

Roger T.

gtwfan

Thanks for the info on the Berk. I appreciate the replies, and am assuming the "right" side of the tender IS the engineer's side. Thanks guys.   Gerry S.