Spectrum 82199 0-4-4-0 Undecorated Shay Steam Locomotive.

Started by trainstrainstrains, October 12, 2014, 11:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainstrainstrains

This is my first post , I just won this on auction from Dash Market, I haven't received it yet but am a little nervous about it , the condition is said to be C-6: Very Good.  Functional,  but one of the drive shaft couplings is broken and the rear truck is not reliably connected to the drive shaft, I thought at first these parts where decorational but I'm not sure,  I hope I can fix these two problems easily but all advice as to how to go about it is very welcome.

Kevin Strong

Each truck on the Shay has its own motor, so the drive line that goes from the cylinders on the side to each trucks is purely cosmetic. Count on the coupling coming undone at least every other time you pick the loco up to move it. It's a slip fit coupling, designed to let the trucks pivot. When they pivot too much, the shaft comes loose. No biggie. It won't happen on the track, just when you pick the loco up and the trucks pivot wildly to the side.

Later,

K

trainstrainstrains

Thank you,   good news, will write again as soon as I receive the locomotive,  can I mend the broken part or buy a replacement?

Kevin Strong

It's not broken. It's a slip joint on a shaft. You just take the one half of the shaft and insert it back into the other. It'll be clear once you get the loco.

Later,

K

trainstrainstrains

Sound was not mentioned in the DashMarket description, so I suppose there is none?

Kevin Strong

Not from the factory. The 3-truck Shay (and, later, the 2nd generation Climax) are the only bachmann locos to have the option of factory-installed sound. (Okay, the 4-6-0 was available with a rudimentary chuff, but that's not the same thing.)

Later,

K

trainstrainstrains

For me a simple Chuff will suffice, is the sound of an expensive sound system really worth it?  Which chuff do you think  would do justice to my Shay and where  should I buy it?

Loco Bill Canelos

TTT,

In my personal opinion you will go for the better sound with a bell and whistle, after listening to the  better system over a simple chuff.  The better system will have a prototypical chuff sound like a real Shay.  The simple chuff sounds available are for rod engines rather than the shay.

Again it is just my personal opinion.  It does cost more, but if cost is a serious budget problem I would at least go for one loco with full function sound.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

Alas, there really is no "simple chuff" that doesn't sound like a kid banging on a cookie sheet. Your cheapest sound option that can be categorized as being "aurally pleasing" would be MyLocoSound, which sells for $80. Next up would be Dallee Electronics ($100 - $110), then the top drawer would be Phoenix ($200). All three of these would work well in the Shay, though being somewhat OCD when it comes to sound quality, I'd gravitate towards the Phoenix. Head to their web site http://www.phoenixsound.com, and you can listen to samples. They've got three or four different Shay sounds to choose from.

Later,

K

tac

Remember too that the Shay sound IS unique - there are NO current three-cylinder steam locos running in North America today that share that high-speed THREE-cylinder shuffle.  Getting a cheap sound system will always stick in your craw whenever you watch a movie of the Cass, EBT or Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad...

tac, Shay-lover since childhood.

trainstrainstrains

I've finally received the Shay from DashMarket , Trainz, It looks like new, better than it was described, 10 points to Trainz. I feel like a 10 year old on Christmas day, ( I'm actually over 6× that)  I'm tired, it's late, I also feel privileged to have two so eminent advisers. Will write very soon after I test the Shay on the track.

Thank you again, will listen to the chuffs.

Kevin Strong

Trainsx3, glad it arrived okay. Good luck and have fun with it!

The nice thing with the Phoenix sound system is that if you buy their programming software (highly recommended), you can adjust the characteristics of the chuff. One of the parameters is the speed at which the chuff goes from a longer chuff to a sharper, shorter chuff. With the rapid chuff rate of a Shay, that's a good thing to have lest the sound end up being something of a mushy hiss.

Tac, alas, there are no Shays on the EBT. (Historically, there were two that operated on a logging line that connected to the EBT at Rockhill, but that's about as close as it gets for them.) There's one running now on the Georgetown Loop, though. One of the engineers occasionally posts here, as he's a large scale guy.

Later,

K

tac

Quote from: Kevin Strong on October 21, 2014, 01:06:54 AMTac, alas, there are no Shays on the EBT. (Historically, there were two that operated on a logging line that connected to the EBT at Rockhill, but that's about as close as it gets for them.) There's one running now on the Georgetown Loop, though. One of the engineers occasionally posts here, as he's a large scale guy. K

Shux, THAT's what I meant to write.  :-[ x 10

Apologies to all the EBT fans out there  I'll do penance by riding the Prineville Shay next time we are in OR.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

trainstrainstrains

My Shay has one G811X-0ZU02 broken , about half of it is gone, which is why one drive shaft falls out.  Is it possible to buy this tiny part?

Chuck N

As I suggested on your 4-6-0, call Bachmann.  As far as I know they are the only reliable source for parts, if they have them.  I have seen limited parts, wheels, trucks, couplers, pilots (aka cow catchers) at dealers, but not small specialized parts.

Chuck