News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring up turnouts

Started by wde2015, October 16, 2014, 12:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wde2015

hey everyone,
My dad and I are back at the train hobby again after several years. We are building our first DCC setup and I have some questions about wiring up the switches. I will try to explain this as best as I can...

We have all bachmann EZ track and all matching turnouts. We have both a DCC controller and a regular DC controller. We have our set up made and we are currently manually switching the turnouts. I understand that we cant wire the turnouts with our DCC controller because it would switch the polarity of the track and cause a short. What I was wondering is can we set up our track as usual with the DCC controller, and Use the old DC controller just on accessory power to power the switches???

To my understanding the power that moves the mechanical part of the switch does not power the track. I have tested this a couple ways with a volt meter and it seems to work, but I wanted to make sure it would work correctly before adding a loco. Im not sure if I'm way in left field here or if this is a common fix.

Thank you for your help,
Brian

Mike C

Hunt

Riptrack

You can too control your turnouts with DCC but your DCC must have a function for controlling accessories and each turnout must have it's own decoder to control it.  ;D
If someone comes up to you and says,..."Smile....Your On Candid Camera!!"......You just got punked at your model railroad club!!