How to determine what radius of EZ track to use

Started by Dan S., October 21, 2014, 11:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougInCal

I have been experimenting with the trial version of AnyRail and was looking at the folded fig 8 with the dual ovals feeding the inner fig 8, in "N scale".  I have an area next to my desk that is about 7' x 5'3".  I was thinking about making an "L" shape layout.

Also, what are the issues with: "With that much track, power feeders will be an issue though."   

I am not able to attach files here, so I put my plan on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51625787@N00/16092590823/

Jerrys HO

Doug,
The more your track on your layout requires more feeders. If you get a meter and put it test the track that your power pack is hooked to you should show the max voltage supplied to your track, as you move the meter away from that connection you will notice the voltage drop the further you move away. When this occurs your loco will not be able to move as fast or at all because it is not receiving enough voltage to power the decoder/motor.
Most use feeders spacing them about 3 ft. apart. Seems like a lot but in order to keep the loco's moving flawlessly you will need good power all the way around the track and clean rails,

Jerry

Joe Satnik

Doug,

Great job learning to use AnyRail.

I wonder if the " @ " symbol in the photo link might be causing the problem.

Anyone else have experience with Flicker?

I have no problems with Photobucket.  Add img tags and away you go.

You may have noticed that N Scale has fewer track choices than HO.

N Scale's (proportionately) shorter 30 degree crossings allow for more compact layout designs,

but then you have to figure out the lengths of the 4 straight legs...  

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: Added Bold
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hunt

Flickr is not a good choice as image host if you what to display image on this board.

Using
[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8647/16092590823_4a50441bae_s.jpg[/img]

Will display

DougInCal

I searched this site, and goggled "power feeder" but I was not able to find anything related to EZ-Track, which I plan to use.  If there is a way to use EZ-Track for additional power feeds, does the power come from the same controller?

I had tried using the "Attach: Browse" option in the reply dialog to load an image from my PC, but that doesn't work, so I will try using the suggested "img" tags.  Sorry for the stumbling around.

Jerrys HO

Doug,
For awhile I was buying Atlas terminal rail joiners but realized I knew how to solder so I started soldering my feeders to the side of the rails and in some instances I made my own terminal rail joiners by soldering my wire to the joiners (Bachmann joiners) and replacing the joiners. I do this every 3 feet and drop the wires down to my buss.
Yes the power comes from the controller. I am sure you are using the terminal track to plug in your controller with EZ track so all you have to do is run your buss under the table and cut the wire to the track and attach it to your buss then the other end to the track will be just another feeder wire. So attach all your feeders to the buss and your off and running.
Here's a video of what I am talking about to help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHHZ9rmIZ0

Jerry

Len

To add power feeders with EZ-Track the basic options are:

1. Purchase Terminal/Rerailer tracks to install around the layout for additional power connections. (Most expensive option)

2. Replace standard rail joiners with terminal rail joiners that have wires already soldered to them to make power connections.

3. Solder your own wire directly to the rail or existing rail joiners to add power connections.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

DougInCal

Thanks for the good information and the link to YouTube, it all helped a lot.

The info on the static URL sent me "goggling" and I found a Flickr thread, with a lot of unhappy (whew!) folks.  But I think I may have found the correct HTML URL.  (Wow, it even works in preview, and I can select the size of the image on Flickr.) 

[Apology's to the moderator, but this was the only way that I could think of testing this link: it works in the address of a browser, but I wasn't certain if it work here.] 

Joe Satnik

Comfortable (human) reach is 24", 30" is stretching it.

Long grabbers or pop-up hatches needed for further away.

Hope this helps.

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on March 04, 2015, 11:24:34 AM
Flickr is not a good choice as image host if you what want to display image on this board.

Using
[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8647/16092590823_4a50441bae_s.jpg[/img]

Will display

Sorry DougInCal
I just read my first post and see not all of my reply was posted. However you learned something.

Following is what was left off.

[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8647/16092590823_4a50441bae.jpg width=500 height=377[/img]

Displays

DougInCal

I received my HO track: the 30 deg crossing, assorted small tracks, etc.  It is a good thing that I bought that assorted tracks because I used all but a couple of them.

I created the folded fig 8 and it ended up being just short of 4' wide and about 7' long.

I had uncoupling problems with the 30 deg crossing, and had to add weights to the cars.  Like my N scale 30 deg crossing it seems to be between the loco and the following car.  The HO scale has settled down with my GP loco, but the F7 is still problematic.

Time to move on to my N scale layout.

DougInCal

I put an oval into the HO folded fig 8, using two power supplies, and will change it to a figure 8. 

Next, I would like to try the plan that Len described: feeding the figure 8 from the oval.  He mentioned that there might be power issues.  Would it work to power two terminal rerailers from the same power supply?  That is, attach both leads to the power supply and go to the individual rerailers.  I am assuming that polarity would be an issue and would have to be checked first (?).

Power supply is Railpower 1300: Output 7 VA, Electronic circuitry, Master on-off switch, 300 degree speed control throttle, Automatic circuit protector, UL Listed.

jbrock27

You can, just as long as you maintain the same polarity to each rerailer.  That can be the tricky part if you have no way of marking your wires or checking with a meter or continuity tester.
Keep Calm and Carry On