News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco drive wheels

Started by uscgtanker, October 24, 2014, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uscgtanker

Mr bachmann
could I get the wheels for the large scale 0-4-0. do I have to contact parts department or order them completely separate. My plan is to build Alaska railroad loco #1 in 1:20.3 and 1:32.

Kevin Strong

Are you building two different models in two different scales? I can see using the B'mann 0-4-0 (or its wheels) as a starting point for a 1:32 model of AR#1, but it being a standard gauge loco, building a model of it in 1:20.3 would either be the wrong gauge, or if you gauge it properly (71mm), the wheels of the B'mann 0-4-0 will be far too small to be accurate. You'd be better off with the B'mann 4-6-0 wheels or something close to that.

Later,

K

uscgtanker

good point with the wheel sizes and scale. the wheels on ARR #1 are 44" diameter. You will find this info on johns Alaska railroad page. http://alaskarails.org/pix/former-loco/eng-drwgs/001.html

scottychaos

It's standard gauge, so you would want to build the model in 1/29 or 1/32 scale.
1/20.3 scale would make no sense..

44" driver in 1/32 scale is 1.37"
44" driver in 1/29 scale is 1.52"

Bachmann 0-4-0T has 1.32" drivers.
"Indy" mining mogul - 1.6"

"Lynn" 2-4-2 (out of production)    1.46"  
"Columbia"  2-4-2 (out of production) 1.59"    

I would go with the 0-4-0T and build the model in 1/32 scale..
and the driver spacing works out nicely too:

Would probably be easiest, and cheap, to just pick up a complete locomotive.
then you get a complete working chassis to build the model on top of..
trainworld has them new for $99.

Scot

uscgtanker

That is helpful to me. I have been working on some other projects but have the info to keep working. I have been building a line of 1:20.3 bobber cabooses and can easily change the dimensions to 1:32 scale. these are 2 axle cars with kade knuckles. I just enjoy building these large size models but I'm running out of space to put them. Time to sell I guess.