News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge

Started by Cheeky_ULP, October 26, 2014, 06:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

The forums been quiet lately (until recently), so I think it'd be a good idea to bring up a hot topic on the forums.

This post isn't really about the possibility of if the Skarloey Railway would be made by Bachmann, or what scale they would be in. This is just a post for fun to think about what kind of items they could make, if they ever did find a way to make the Skarloey Railway work.

I think first off, the range would be handled in a similar manner the Thomas range was first handled, as well as Chuggington. Basically, three engines to kick things off, and then some rolling stock.

Engines:

There's no doubt that Skarleoy and Rheneas would go first, being the original engines of the railway. I think the bigger question is who the third engine would be.

They could easily go in numberical order with Sir Handel...

...go with Peter Sam or Duncan for color contrast...

Or go with Rusty for an easier third tooling.

After the main 6 engines, I think engines like Duke, Victor, Millie, and Luke would depend on how well the range does.

Rolling Stock:

The Slate truck is one of the most common pieces of rolling stock on the Skarloey Railway, so I imagine it would definitely be included. Maybe even with a slate load.

The blue passenger coaches have been in the show for a long time, and they're a bright color that can be appealing on a layout. The livery also dates back to the Railway Series. I imagine a coach would be picked as a piece of rolling stock without a doubt.

The gunpowder wagon was only in Season 4, but nonetheless it has a soft spot with the fan base. "D.Fusit" has always gotten a bit of a chuckle out of those who have noticed.

Can't have a train without a caboose!

There are other wagons, but for now I just wanted to narrow it down to a "core" set of what could be introduced to a hypothetical Narrow Gauge range. There's not a whole lot more wagons though, maybe 10 unique pieces of rolling stock at most.

What would you guys like to see? What would you do differently?

Chaz

There is certainly no harm in sharing the idea, as I believe that narrow gauge would be a very phenomenal idea in the range!  Even if many deny the possibility, in the end, we all know that everyone would buy narrow gauge if it were to happen.  So, I am in full support of the idea if it were to happen!

If they were to do narrow gauge I could easily see them starting off with the first three (Skarloey, Rheneas, and Sir Handel), and having the rolling stock that Sparks mentioned in his post to join the range.  Perhaps maybe even include a set with Skarloey and some rolling stock?  It'd be an ideal way to warm up fans to this new range of products.  Either way, if Bachmann were to introduce narrow gauge in the Thomas and Friends series, it would be interesting to see what kind of approach they would take with them. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

ScotNick

We don't know yet, but when the Bachmann rep. said in the video that we'll be "pleased and surprised" by next year's announcement, did he perhaps mean narrow gauge? It's a really vague speculation, but there is hope  ;)

AJW98Productions

On the subject of the brakevan, I believe that they'd also introduce the blue van, as it is part of the blue and white set of coaches. While I'm on the subject as well; do you guys think they'd make the blue and white coaches with the Annie/Clarabel esque expressions, or like they were pictured in Sparks's image? Finally: sorry if I seem dense for this but is there some kind of joke in the D.Fusit name that I just do not understand? I actually don't get the joke :-[
And whilst I don't really see this lot coming, I would absolutely love to see BACHMANN produce the Narrow Guage engines in N Guage. Personally I believe that they would start off with Skarloey and Rheneas, and possibly a third engine, if they did it would likely be Sir Handel I think. Other than that I think they'd start with the slate trucks (possibly with a load of slate), the general brown brakevan, and blue and white coaches with the blue brakevan. So essentially I'm almost completely in agreement with Sparks...
And finally, a side note: I genuinely think this is a fantastic topic idea, I really do ;D kudos, Sparks :)

jettrainfan

AJW, its one of those jokes where you gotta read it out loud. D.Fusit = Defuse it, cause gun powder is highly combustible, so you don't want any flames around it.  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

AJW98Productions

Quote from: jettrainfan on November 03, 2014, 05:11:29 PM
AJW, its one of those jokes where you gotta read it out loud. D.Fusit = Defuse it, cause gun powder is highly combustible, so you don't want any flames around it.  ;)
Ah, OK I understand now. Thanks jettrainfan :)

Chaz

Quote from: AJW98Productions The Second on November 03, 2014, 12:27:43 AM
On the subject of the brakevan, I believe that they'd also introduce the blue van, as it is part of the blue and white set of coaches. While I'm on the subject as well; do you guys think they'd make the blue and white coaches with the Annie/Clarabel esque expressions, or like they were pictured in Sparks's image?

I have never known Bachmann to avoid any repaints, and this goes for both HO and large scale lines.  I feel like if Bachmann wanted to do different paint schemes for different coaches, freight cars, or brake vans, then I do not see what is stopping them.  If Bachmann made stock like the raspberry syrup tank, nothing should stop them from doing repaints for narrow gauge stock (if they add them to their range that is).

Quote from: ScotNick on October 26, 2014, 06:47:56 PM
We don't know yet, but when the Bachmann rep. said in the video that we'll be "pleased and surprised" by next year's announcement, did he perhaps mean narrow gauge? It's a really vague speculation, but there is hope  ;)

I'll be honest, a thought like this actually crossed my mind after I watched the video.  I can't say I disagree with that theory, especially since a number of people would never guess if they would make an appearance in the range.  That and Bachmann UK did announce narrow gauge earlier this year.  So I honestly don't think it's that unlikely, especially considering how popular these models would be if they were to be made. 

Either way I think it's safe to say that more people want narrow gauge more than they would believe that they would actually happen.  I know I would certainly be in favor of them.  No doubt I would get the original seven from season 4 if they were done and of course one of my favorite characters who was introduced after season 7... Luke!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

therailwayinspector

Whilst I agree with most points raised here; if it were to happen, I think we'd get Skarloey & Rheneas in the first year, followed by Rusty. Those three seem to be the "headliners" for the series these days. After that, who knows?

I think many would love to obtain such models, an d that the the selling point is grossly underestimated! They, in OO9, would be to scale. People may have to buy new track work but for those like
Me its a worthwhile expense for the sale of he collection and building a layout. It opens whole new scenic opportunities too....
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

PaulGWR

That would make sense, maybe some sets such as Skarloey and the coaches and Rheneas and the trucks

uscgtanker

Knowing there is a big market to the HOn30 or oo9 narrow gauge for TTTE. The only problem I see is making the chassis for the engines. Parkside Dundas is a web site I go to for 009. Rolling stock is really easy to build. I have built a few slate wagons in Hon30 already. Another site to go is railway recollections, the make 0n30 and hon30. The other though that came to mind would be on30 but that can't be used with the existing ho scale Thomas line.
One nice thing they could do with the repaints of models is copy the real engines from wales. Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handal, Peter Sam and Duncan are from the Talyllyn railroad in Tywyn Wales.

Some great railways would come from Bachmann producing this scale.

AJW98Productions

One thing I'd like to hear people's opinion on is do you think the coaches would have faces or not? And do you think the trucks would have faces or not?

clan line 35028

I would personally think that you all are forgetting Duke the lost engine. because that is the very first narrow Gauge engine. also was the very starting point when Rev wrote the Narrow Gauge stories. at that time he was a volunteer with the Festiniog Railway in Porthmadog.

The coaches from the narrow gauge line that have been preserved from when they used the models both have faces and no faces. so doing a sort of mix is totally possible. but from Bachmanns stand point it would be easier to only have 1 kind to save on starting molds.

as for Freight cars you do also see some small vans and gondolas when Rusty is out repairing the track. so there is more freight cars around you just have to look for them. 

DPizz

I'd by the narrow gauge engines in a heartbeat. Scale doesn't even really matter.

Anthony P2

if Bachmann were to make our NG friends, I can see them maybe starting out with Skarloey, a coach (most likely red) or a slate wagon, and a guards van [brown or to match the coaches (red or blue)]. Sold as N or N/009 (like HO/00) scale. Start out with a simple set like Skarloey's Passenger Service or Skarloey's Slate Delivery. then slowly add on in the years. I'd be fine with Bachmann coming out with an Engine, a piece of rolling stock, and a building or off rail character for the HO/00 line and doing the same with the N/009 line. there isn't much rolling stock to the NG railway (4 different types of coaches, BMQ trucks, slate trucks, guards van and maybe Millie's open top carriage) not like SG rolling stock. They don't even need to produce new NG track, just include N scale track in the sets. Maybe if they're feeling more adventurous make a HO/N crossing so SG and NG can interact with each other, but that's an even bigger dream.  ;)

Blackfive1994

Quote from: Chaz on October 26, 2014, 06:39:46 PM
There is certainly no harm in sharing the idea, as I believe that narrow gauge would be a very phenomenal idea in the range!  Even if many deny the possibility, in the end, we all know that everyone would buy narrow gauge if it were to happen.  So, I am in full support of the idea if it were to happen!

If they were to do narrow gauge I could easily see them starting off with the first three (Skarloey, Rheneas, and Sir Handel), and having the rolling stock that Sparks mentioned in his post to join the range.  Perhaps maybe even include a set with Skarloey and some rolling stock?  It'd be an ideal way to warm up fans to this new range of products.  Either way, if Bachmann were to introduce narrow gauge in the Thomas and Friends series, it would be interesting to see what kind of approach they would take with them. 
speaking of sets, how about a BMQ set with Thomas and/or Paxton, Luke, HO open wagons, NG BMQ wagons, two ovals of track. Bachmann should also do dual-gauge track.