News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building an E-Z track layout

Started by Saved1, November 08, 2014, 04:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saved1

Quote from: wiley209 on November 21, 2014, 12:25:55 AM
Nice retro bridge and trestle there! Who made that one: AHM, Life-Like, Model Power, TYCO or Walthers?

I'm also working on an E-Z Track layout for the local hobby shop's museum.

The bridge is from an old tyco bridge and trestle kit set. I've had this bridge set for a long time, It maybe from the 70's but not sure.

I would love to see the layout you are building  ;D

Saved1

Quote from: Joe323 on November 21, 2014, 08:38:54 AM
Hmm never thought of using the Chooch flexible walls as a tunnel liner.

They worked out pretty good I did have to use a little hot glue to keep them on the Styrofoam, i am almost done with the tunnel section when i finish it i will post a few pics of it.

Saved1

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 21, 2014, 10:08:29 AM
Nice retro bridge and trestle there! Who made that one: AHM

Before I glue assembled ours together (AHM and 2 actually) I spray painted the trestles of the bridge section flat black and then after assembly, I painted the walkways on either side of the track platform, wood color.  Makes a difference.  Before switching to Atlas grey stone block piers, I spray painted the wood looking piers a brown (Rustoelum primer). 

I will be weathering the bridge section (i ran out of paint lol) and i will paint the wooden sections on top of the bridge as well and weather those too, i agree with you, it will make a difference  :)

Saved1

I finished lining the tunnel using the chooch flexible wall and it came out better then i thought it would, i even had enough to line the ceiling of the tunnel too lol

I also finished the tunnel "yay" and placed and trimmed the profile board background :)

I cutout a total of 3 excess ports in the tunnel area

I had some old thin strips of vinal laying around from work so i will use it as a hinge of sorts for the excess doors, once i plaster it all together it should look and work good. I'll add a little handle later to open and close the excess doors

As always, since i am doing a video series of my layout build, here is part 5 of the series,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxHPq9Mi3I

well, till next time have fun with your model trains

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving

jbrock27

That was a great idea on the tunnel.  I love the look!

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Saved1

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 23, 2014, 06:43:30 PM
That was a great idea on the tunnel.  I love the look!

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well :)

Thank you and,

thank you

Doneldon

Saved-

Your tunnel looks great. It's a good idea to have a long tunnel which conceals part of the turn back curve on a table layout as it makes the whole thing a bit more realistic. Using vinyl as hinges for your access points is also a good idea. It should allow the doors to stay closed unless and until you need to use them. Another way to hold them is using magnets, but it looks to me as though your hinged doors will work just fine.
                                           -- D

Joe323

Saved1

Quote from: Doneldon on November 23, 2014, 09:24:38 PM
Saved-

Your tunnel looks great. It's a good idea to have a long tunnel which conceals part of the turn back curve on a table layout as it makes the whole thing a bit more realistic. Using vinyl as hinges for your access points is also a good idea. It should allow the doors to stay closed unless and until you need to use them. Another way to hold them is using magnets, but it looks to me as though your hinged doors will work just fine.
                                           -- D

Thanks, yes i think the vinyl will work pretty good

Striker1945

Wow! The tunnel simply looks amazing. Looking forward to your next update!
-Striker

Saved1

Quote from: Striker1945 on November 24, 2014, 08:19:43 PM
Wow! The tunnel simply looks amazing. Looking forward to your next update!
-Striker

Thank you ;D

Saved1

I took some time off do to the Thanksgiving holiday and i hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

even though i took some time off i was still busy at work on my layout, got a little plaster on my shirt in the process :P

But, I did finish the mountain area over the tunnel and did one small part of the flat section where some buildings will go

in the pic below i made a small section on the top of the mountain where i made a small flat section kinda like a pond of sorts in which a body of water will be and then i will add some realistic type water and a waterfall coming down behind the bridge

I need to start painting the mountains and add the scenery and i will get to that soon, i hope lol

i also got a signal light bridge that i was working on (or should i say trying to figure out haha) which i will cover in another post when i get to it lol but, if you want to see a sneak peak of it you can watch this tutorial video i made of the signal bridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PnsEuO-ok

As always since i am doing a video series of my layout build, here is part 6 of the series,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXiTmaZfyCo

well, till next time have fun with your model trains

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Flagman46

Really looking good.
I have a 6' X 10' figure 8 type double track layout using EZ Track & WS Sub Terrain Products.
Here's what I did to blend the foam sheets to the EZ Track roadbed.
Mix a small batch of Hydrocal.  While it is still wet, using a sponge brush, spread it over the seams where the foam sheets meet the risers and over the roadbed right up to the ends of the ties on the EZ Track.  Let it dry, then apply your favorite shade of "Undercoat".