News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 frame bent at pilot

Started by Trainman203, November 08, 2014, 08:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

When my 63" driver 4-6-0 was returning in the mail from a tech , the Postal Service played football with the box.  When I opened the box, I found the pilot broken off and the frame bent slightly downward right above the lead pony trick axle.

Fortunately I have a supply of spare pilots I got for just such an event when I realized that Bachmann was discontinuing this engine.

However, I am afraid to apply any upward pressures try to straighten it because I believe that the frame is die cast metal and will break.  I need to study the exploded drawing but I do not believe that this part of the frame is separately available.

With the frame pointing slightly downward the coupler is now too low and the pilot is slightly skewed downward as well.

Anyone have a similar damage experience and can report on solutions?

bosun

Now I may be wrong, but as it is it's no good to you.

I'd straighten it out (be brave) and if it breaks be prepared to use tin from a can and epoxy to fashion a repair. It won't be easy. If you can't do that send it back to the techie.

All the best,

Art

electrical whiz kid

These frames, to the best that I can see, are cast.  It is a clean efficient relatively inexpensive process, which pays off for us.  Taking a bend out of cast pot metal "zamac", etc; is, as Trainman said, very tricky.  Go easy, and I have found that if you go in slow incremental movements, it seems to cooperate.  Good luck.
Rich C.

GN.2-6-8-0

Of course it would mean disassembling the entire chassie but wouldn't applied heat work with a mini torch?
Rocky Lives

electrical whiz kid

That would be an extremely touchy remedy.  IMHO, don't do it unless you really know what you are doing-or have a penchant for being reckless.
Working with cast zinc compounds are just plain tough on the nerves.  Listen to more people on here who know much more than I.  If you want my truly honest opinion, send it back and let someone who knows what they are doing, attempt this.
RIch C.

James in FL

If I were in your predicament, I would heat the frame (completely stripped) to 500F for about an hour before attempting to straighten it.
I think the odds are better than trying to straighten it at room temperature.
Work quickly after removing from the oven, and when straight put back in the oven for another hour.
Don't quench in liquid, let it air cool by itself.
Melting temp for most zamak types is between about 710° to 730°F.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Don't over heat.

Good luck

Trainman203

I already broke it.  Repairing with sheet brass and epoxy.