Is this all I need for a DCC set up??

Started by LV 606, November 09, 2014, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LV 606

I have been into HO trains for over 50 years and the other day I bought my 1st DCC equipped engine (Bachmann Spectrum Decapod) and now I have questions. I assume it will run if I just hook up a transformer but if I wanted to use some of the DCC functions  I know I'm going to need more things. If I were to get a Bachmann complete DCC controller would that be all I would need to use some of the functions of a DCC set up or would I need to get additional items? All I'm looking for is something simple that makes my Christmas layout a little more interesting.  I know nothing at all about DCC. Too bad they didn't print a book "DCC FOR DUMMIES".  ???

jbrock27

There are books out there for learning DCC wiring and functions.  Also, there is lots of info out there on the Web.   MRR and Kalmbach publish such books.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the short answer is yes, a dcc controller is all you'd need to run your dcc equipped engine.

but, it's not quite that simple. most dcc decoders can be programmed to run your locomotive the way YOU want it to run, features like momentum and top speed can be uer defined. many sound equipped locomotives have a choice of horns/whistles which are also user defined. on diesels, you can program them to run long hood forward if desired. these are just a few examples of what can be done.

the more basic/low cost dcc controllers are often not set up to do this programming. they are fine if all you want to do is run the locomotive, but anything more sophisticated would require a command station capable of doing such programming.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

LV-

Most systems, including all Bachmann DCC products, come with "dual-mode" decoders which automatically detect whether the track has DC or DCC, and then operate accordingly. You generally have a little bit of control over a few functions with DC, such as a whistle or bell, and a script programmed into the decoder for ongoing sounds like the hum of a diesel engine or the chuff of a steamer. You must have a complete DCC system to have control over all sound, operational and lighting effects. And ... be aware that all DCC systems are not created equal. To get the full package of DCC operation, get a system which allows you to program decoders and possibly even "read" the values stored in them.

If this sounds intimidating, it really isn't. It's very easy to install DCC on an existing DC layout and, since you presumably have a well-running pike with all of the kinks worked out over the years, your installation should be an especially smooth one. You'll need a reverse module if you have turn-back loops, wyes or turntables (depending on how it's wired), but that is neither a major expense nor much of a time consumer.

About the only other thing you might have to do beyond a straight installation is adding some extra feeders. DCC likes a constant power supply and even the briefest interruptions can cause sound units to reboot. It can be a little disconcerting to have the Super Chief running across the Arizona desert at speed and have the engines suddenly start winding up and tooting that they are about to leave a depot.

Oh, yes. Track. DCC needs clean track because of its insistence on uninterrupted power.
                                                                                                                                 -- D

BigJim

The only thing you have to get is a DCC Controller, I recommend the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC Controller System, about $120 or so. But I have 3 transformers. One for my DCC, one for my lights and a third one for my switches or turnouts.

Most DCC locomotives come assigned to address 3, so the first thing I recommend is to change the address, and most people use the last number on the locomotive. The Bachmann E-Z Command DCC allows up to 9 DCC addresses, the 10th address can be used to run DC locomotives.

Never leave a DC locomotive on the rails if it's not running, supposedly the engine can burn up.

Another thing I recommend do not turn off the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC as this will lose the new address. Let's say the last number on the locomotive is "2", and you program the DCC controller to run your locomotive on 2, if you turn off the DCC controller, the locomotive will default back to 3 and you will have to reprogram again.

I made the switch to DCC last Christmas and after a few growing pains I love it. It's really cool and easy to have multiple engines running at the same time.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Jimmy

LV 606

Thank You all for responding to my message and the advice you've given me. I watched several videos on You Tube and I sorta understand what a DCC system can do for me. I have a couple more questions for this forum... I just purchased my first DCC engine .... a  Bachmann Spectrum Decapod (Bachmann Item # 81702). The original ad said it was DCC equipped  but upon receiving the item today I see it is DCC ready. What is the difference ??? Do I have any DCC functions at all with this engine?
Thanks again to all who are trying to help this old dog learn new tricks...  8)

Bucksco

"DCC Ready" basically means that the electric motor is isolated from the frame of the loco so that you can install a DCC decoder. It has no DCC functions as is. Open the tender and look to see if there is an 8 pin socket (this is where you plug in a DCC decoder - there will be a dummy plug in place that will need to be removed). If it does not have the socket the decoder would need to be hard wired in. If this is the case you may want to get some help and/or do some research on how to install a DCC decoder.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1827
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1825

ACY

Quote from: LV 606 on November 11, 2014, 12:31:58 PM
Do I have any DCC functions at all with this engine?
No there is no DCC decoder present in your locomotive so you have no DCC functionality, it will only run on standard DC as is and you cannot do any programming either of course. You must first install a DCC decoder of your choice to have DCC functionality. A Bachmann decoder with 8 pin harness would work for this locomotive you could even install a Tsunami sound decoder if you wanted sound, but you would also need to install a speaker as well if you went that route.
Also Bachmann never made any Decapods with plain DCC. They only made them with DCC and sound or DCC ready (which means it is easier to install DCC but it doesn't already have DCC). You may have seen the the DCC ready logo and missed the little writing underneath the "DCC" where it said "Ready."

ACY

Quote from: Yardmaster on November 11, 2014, 01:46:54 PM
"DCC Ready" basically means that the electric motor is isolated from the frame of the loco so that you can install a DCC decoder. It has no DCC functions as is. Open the tender and look to see if there is an 8 pin socket (this is where you plug in a DCC decoder - there will be a dummy plug in place that will need to be removed).
As far as I know all of your recent Spectrum line decapods came with an 8 pin socket in the tender so the original poster should not have to worry about hardwiring in a decoder and can simply purchase a Bachmann 8 pin plug decoder.
I have two decapods that I purchased about 10 years ago and they had the sockets, and I don't recall you guys producing a decapod before the 2000's, do it should be a safe bet that his has the socket unless the original owner removed it for some reason.

jward

big jim are you serious? does the decoder really reset itself back to the default address when you turn your controller off? because they are not supposed to do that. information lie the address and other settings are stored in the decoder memory, not the controller, so it should be (and is on my system) irrelevant whether the controller is on or off.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

You should not be losing Loco addresses when you disconnect the power.  Perhaps you mean functions such as lights?

BigJim

Yes, I'm serious. If I unplug my DCC controller the locomotives would default back to address 3.

The first time it happened I thought I broke it. I reprogrammed the address and unplugged the controller and it did it again. So now I never unplug the controller and the addresses stay 1 and 2.

Jimmy

Hunt

Quote from: BigJim on November 14, 2014, 10:12:53 AM
Yes, I'm serious. If I unplug my DCC controller the locomotives would default back to address 3.

The first time it happened I thought I broke it. I reprogrammed the address and unplugged the controller and it did it again. So now I never unplug the controller and the addresses stay 1 and 2.

Jimmy

BigJim - You have defective decoders! Or something else not normal to DCC operation is happening. DCC Decoder does not lose address when power removed,

Best to always remove power from any DCC System when it is not being used.

NarrowMinded

Re: big jim losing addresses,
As others said something is a wrong if your losing addresses, I have several locos that I only use at Christmas, they are stored for 11months and they always have retained the addresses that they have been changed too.

Re: original posters ?'s
A lot of good info here.

You mention its for a christmas layout so I am guessing its a continuous  loop of track.

I use bachmanns ez command and a Bachmann loco with an added sound decoder and speaker.

You missed the fine print once, dont miss it again and buy a decoder without sound.

That said, I must comment that although sound is fun when your running trains, on a christmas layout that is contineously running after the novelty of sound wares off many people shut the sound off simply because it gets annoying listening to the constant chuff,
Just something to think about before you go to the added expense.