News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

add sound decoder to Bachmann On30 4-6-0

Started by bcochran, November 14, 2014, 09:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcochran

Hello,

I have a Bachmann On30 4-6-0 with dcc but without sound.  I would like to add sound.  Is there a drop in sound decoder with speaker I can get for this loco?

Thanks

Steve Magee

Hello there

If you mean open the tender, plug something in and away you go, not quite. But it is an easy installation. Any sound decoder with an 8-pin plug will slip right in, but you will have to add a speaker of your choice and solder the two speaker wires from your decoder to the speaker terminals - does not matter which way they are soldered, there are no polarity issues. Then mount the speaker in the hole provided by bachmann in the tender. I forget the size of the speaker that fits the mounting, probably about 28 mm but a quick check with a ruler will give you that information.

That will get you started with a good basic installation. Tweak after if you like - seal tender with what we call BluTac here (stuff a bit in any holes you can see on the tender apart from the ones under the speaker) is a good start but not absolutely essential. It does provide more volume and a deeper sound.

I have used sound decoders from Soundtraxx, QSI, ESU Loksound, TCS WOW and Zimo in this installation. If you are new(ish) to installing sound, Soundtraxx Tsunami is a good all round bet for a simple installation and tune. My own one has a QSI Revolution U Version 7 installed, but is going to be upgraded to a TCS WOW 101 Vers 3.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust