News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 'Emily' Not Running Properly

Started by BobZ, November 17, 2014, 06:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

Purchased a Thomas series 'Emily' locomotive for a grandson back in Jan 2014. Due to a remodeling project to provide additional space for his G scale railroad empire, it wasn't removed from it's box until the other day. When placed on the track it started up, ran a couple of laps on the layout then stopped. All other Thomas engines (we have them all) run great. Any suggestions? This is an indoor layout using Bachmann steel track.

Chuck N

This is hard to diagnose from afar, but is it possible that a circuit breaker in the power supply popped?  Next time have another engine on hand and immediately put it on the track.  If the second engine doesn't run,  Emily is causing a short that throws the breaker.  If it does run, there is still a problem with Emily, but it isn't a short.

Many power supplies have a thermal circuit breaker.  If it gets hot it will pop and upon cooling resets.  That is why you need to determine if there is power to the tracks immediately when Emily stops.  There may be a poor connection in Emily that shuts off that does not cause a short.

On another try, does Emily start running after waiting for a couple of minutes.  All of this might help us help you.  

What power supply are you using.  It is possible that Emily draws more current than your other engines and it just trips the breaker.  I don't have Emily so I can't measure the amps it needs.

Chuck

BobZ

Power supply seems ok. As soon as 'Emily' didn't run I placed 'Toby' on the track and off it went. When I try to manually rotate the Emily's drivers, they feel very tight. Do you know which axle(s) pickup the current?

The power pack being used is the standard Bachmann that comes with their sets. 

BobZ

Problem solved. Found receipt and found that it was purchased less than 1 year ago. Shipped to Bachmann for repair/replacement.