News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New engines Please

Started by adari, October 19, 2007, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

Quote from: SteamGene on October 22, 2007, 09:10:28 AM
BLI makes the Cab Forward.  The other two are totally road specific so I'm not sure that Bachmann would be that interested.   The Road Class A was a passenger loco and getting the correct cars for it might be a little difficult.  The Hiawatha that Walters is going to produce was never pulled by an "A."
Gene
The hiawatha was pulled by an A. Are you thinking of the steam hiawatha that was before the A.

SteamGene

The Walthers Olympian Hi is a 1950s train.  By that time the Road Class A's were engine blocks and frying pans. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

adari

Oh here are some engines you might not have heard of a PRR Q2 4-4-6-4 and a PRR S1 duplex 6-4-4-6. Does anyone know what companie(s) makes them. Oh canyou als helpwith this...
Quote from: adari on October 22, 2007, 05:10:07 PM
If anyone would give me an idea for diesel locos and electric locos for the Pennsylvania,B&O, C&O, and N&W threw the 1900's to 1970's. I dont only want big steam locos I want small simple engines.
Thank you everyone!

SteamGene

Both the PRR's Q1 and S1 steam locomotives were big engines with very few in each class.  They were an effort on the PRR to retain coal fired steam locomotives.  The S1 was not articulated and was really a 4-8-4 with four sets of cylinders.  Neither fit your concept of small locomotives.  Bowser may have a kitl of the S1 but I think brass is the only way with the Q1.
C&O 2-8-0s were in the G class.  There were also some small Atlantics, but I'd have to look up the information.  The Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society web page has a listing off all C&O steam; you might check it out.  But be aware that the C&O was known for big steam.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

Pennsy used many kinds of diesel locomotives from several manufacturers in their diesel era. As for steam engines they had many classes and some of these were one or two of a kind.

I would suggest you go online to Wikipedia or Google Pennsylvania Railroad to get more information about the railroad.  Go to the Bowser website and check out their on-line catalog showing their HO engines. Their models are representative of some of the more common PRR types.

1900- 1970 is a huge period to model. You need to pick a period you like. As for the Pennsy, people often focus on one branch or one division - like Lines West, for example.

RAM

On a steam locomotive there are all kinds of production problems.   3 RRs had 4-6-4s with 84inch
drives.   Other than the main frame nothing else is interchangeable.  The CNW locomotives look
nothing like the Milw. Or stsf locomotives.   The atsf 3460 looks nothing like the other 5
locomotives.  DI can see why these companies make USRA locomotives.  They were all alike
when they were built. My railroad had over 1000 steam locomotives, but not one USRA
locomotive, I just have to live with that.

danmerkel

I'd tend to side with those who are looking for the smaller to medium sized locomotives.  The big articulateds look great but they are expensive and "sometimes" don't live up to our expectations.  I have a couple that seem to have a hard time pulling their own tenders.  : (

Funny that while I am interested in the Nickel Plate, I sometimes like engines solely for the way they look.  Along those lines, I'd like to see a mid-sized loco with both an Elesco feedwater heater AND flying pumps mounted on the smokebox.  I think at one time, AHM/IHC did a Mikado that way.  Probably the others I've seen are brass and would be of little interest to me.  But alas, some Pacifics have also been equipped the same way.  Maybe someday I'll see one along those lines...

dlm

SteamGene

C&O K class Mikados and F class Pacifics had flying pumps - or most of them did, and many had Elesco feedwater heaters.  In addition, many had Vanderbilt tenders and most without Vandys had large rectangular ones.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

kevin2083

I'm still waiting for a nice looking 0-4-0T.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Virginian

I want a Virginian 2-10-10-2, and I want it perfectly accurate, and I want it by March, 2008.  The N&W Class M, M-1, and M-2s would be nice too, and I don't absolutely have to have one before June.
Get the lead out Bach Man !
"What could have happened... did."

SteamGene

Virginian,
You forgot to indicate if you wanted it as delivered, after which shopping, or just before retirement.  That might mean they can't possibly do it before April. 
I'd give them until July for the M class, since they also need to make a choice.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

RAM

Virginian, you want that  2-10-10-2 to run on your 4 by 8 layout.

NWsteam

If Bachmann produces a good looking/running N&W M class you can put me down for 3!

Virginian

I am not going to say anything further, and they better get it right !

RAM - Darned right, it better negotiate 22" curves and #4 switches And keep the tender tucked close, and no crabwalking out of the turns.  And it better pull 200 cars up a 2% grade too !
"What could have happened... did."

adari

Thank you everybody. My P.R.R plans are coming together.