News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New engines Please

Started by adari, October 19, 2007, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danmerkel

Quote from: SteamGene on December 06, 2007, 09:51:19 PM
C&O K class Mikados and F class Pacifics had flying pumps - or most of them did, and many had Elesco feedwater heaters.  In addition, many had Vanderbilt tenders and most without Vandys had large rectangular ones.
Gene

Yes, those are the engines that I like the looks of... and I've always thought that the Vanderbilt Tender was cool looking.  I don't believe the NKP had any; maybe that's why I liked the GN as well.

dlm

adari

Does anyone know what company make a P.R.R BB1 electric locomotive? Oh and thanks for the help.

Adari

Conrail Quality

Quote from: adari on December 11, 2007, 08:51:06 PM
Does anyone know what company make a P.R.R BB1 electric locomotive? Oh and thanks for the help.

Adari

You can't get a B1 electric in plastic or even resin. It's simply too unique, and switchers do not have reputation for being good sellers. The fact that it's electric is strike three, only brass will have it. I know they've been made- perhaps several times. I seem to recall that Alco Models made one at one point, but I'm not certain. Obsessively montitoring eBay is is your best bet, along with checking out train shows in your area.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

adari

Quote from: SteamGene on October 29, 2007, 09:22:27 AM
Both the PRR's Q1 and S1 steam locomotives were big engines with very few in each class.  They were an effort on the PRR to retain coal fired steam locomotives.  The S1 was not articulated and was really a 4-8-4 with four sets of cylinders.  Neither fit your concept of small locomotives.  Bowser may have a kitl of the S1 but I think brass is the only way with the Q1.
C&O 2-8-0s were in the G class.  There were also some small Atlantics, but I'd have to look up the information.  The Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society web page has a listing off all C&O steam; you might check it out.  But be aware that the C&O was known for big steam.
Gene

The 4-4-4-4 was acctually a 4-8-4, not the S1, I think!

RAM

The S1 was the only locomotive ever built to use a 6-4-4-6 wheel arrangement. Also, the S1 class was a duplex locomotive, meaning that it had two pairs of cylinders, each driving two pairs of driving wheels. Unlike similar-looking articulated locomotive designs, the driven wheelbase of the S1 was rigid. The S1 was completed January 31, 1939 and was assigned locomotive number 6100.[4]

The T1 was a 4-4-4-4.  the PRR did not have any 4-8-4s.  They did test the N.&.W. Js.  I just wonder what it would have looked like had made a 4-8-4.  One thing for sure.  It would have been a better locomotive than the T1

SteamGene

Ram,
Sorry about getting the class code of the PRR 4-4-4-4 incorrect.  From what I've read and remember, the PRR wanted a 4-8-4, but wanted to reduce the rod weight, so they designed an actual 4-8-4 with each pair of driver sets having its own cylinders.  IIRC, the C&O tested a 4-4-4-4 and it gave good performance except in one place - Waynesboro, Virginia, where it stalled.  There were apparently mitigating circumstances to the stall. 
Merry Ninth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

japasha

Gene, Are you planning for any square-head electics on your 1957 layout?

I know you're a steam guy but your neck of the woods had two lines playing with electricity over the mountains in 1957. Just asking.

The Pennsy T1 had the nasty habit of  one set of drivers slipping like crazy while the other was still working. The S-1 had two turbines, a big one for forward and a small one for reverse. The big one was capable of over 6000 horsepower.
The Q-1 was supposed to have better traction. Nada. The J-1s easily out pulled them everywhere. The long rigid wheelbases kept most of them west of Crestline, Ohio. The J-1 lasted until the end of steam. The others only into the early 50s. T-1 engineers hated any track that was icy as one engine or the other would slip. One remarked that some idiot forgot to put side rods between the two sets. Not really a great idea on a rigid frame.

SteamGene

The electrics were to the south of me.   I know the Virginian had an electrified district.  I'm not sure what the other railroad would be.  If I were to go electric, it would be Little Joes in Montana and Idaho.  :D
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

japasha

Gene,

The N&W had electrics over the Blue Ridge.  They were just as big and ugly as the ones on the Virginian

SteamGene

The Blue Ridge?  Where the N&W crossed the Blue Ridge, it was no more than a speed bump.  West of Roanoke is something else.
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Conrail Quality

Quote from: japasha on January 04, 2008, 02:53:28 PM
Gene,

The N&W had electrics over the Blue Ridge.  They were just as big and ugly as the ones on the Virginian

The boxcabs, maybe, but the Virginian EL2-B "streamliners'" were certainly not ugly.

The Virginian regressed from there, with the EL-C "bricks" (E-33's).
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

japasha

Sorry, Gene. I meant WEST of Roanoke. Yes, there was electricity through the air on the N&W. The Virginian followed suit

SteamGene

Like I said, Little Joes in Montana and Idaho.
Have a great Twelvth Night
Gene
Chief Brass Hat