Converting two rail engine to three

Started by txvt, December 30, 2014, 10:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txvt

I received a beautiful engine as a gift but it is a two rail O Gauge versus a 3 rail.  Is it possible to convert this engine to run on 3 rail track?  Thanks

phillyreading

It is possible to make it into a three rail engine but it will take a lot of work.
First you will have to add the center rail roller assembly to it, second you will have to decide which wire to tap for outside rail power, third is that you may have to install either; a circuit board or bridge rectifier to control the direction.

If I am correct the center of the axle is plastic or has the wheel insulated from the axle, so it won't do well in a three rail community as it won't activate accessories needing an outside rail connection. Also the two rail coupler will be scale, probably Katy coupler instead of the older style Lionel or post war coupler.

I would either make it a shelf item or sell it and buy a three rail engine that you like better.

Lee F.

phillyreading

Quote from: txvt on December 30, 2014, 10:30:16 AM
I received a beautiful engine as a gift but it is a two rail O Gauge versus a 3 rail.  Is it possible to convert this engine to run on 3 rail track?  Thanks

There is one way that you won't have to work on it, that is if it is an MTH PS-3 engine, as you just throw a switch or two inside the engine and that changes everything for you.
Otherwise like I posted before you have  a lot of work to do.

Lee F.