News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

help!!

Started by jdgrimm, November 23, 2014, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Good luck w/it.  I hope it all works out for you!
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

don't let this little setback stop you from enjoying this hobby. for what its worth, you'll probably end up with more locomotives than you know what to do with once the bug hits you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I've seen that affliction ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...and whatever you do, don't ever do this to one of you locos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPEK0MY_ak&list=UU6xOezaYqdayivNMLRC1CqQ

For a review, FF to 1:14; for what I am saying "don't do", go to 4:20.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Yeah not a good idea

jbrock27

I guess the performance bothered him more, than having spent the $135.

Have a great Thanksgiving Joe and Jeff !
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 26, 2014, 07:00:32 AM
...and whatever you do, don't ever do this to one of you locos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPEK0MY_ak&list=UU6xOezaYqdayivNMLRC1CqQ

For a review, FF to 1:14; for what I am saying "don't do", go to 4:20.

I remember mr mayo. he got himself kicked off the old atlas forum several times for causing drama. I wonder if he ever figured out that if the locomotive rocks too much, all you have to do is remove the body and tighten the bolster screws? I guess not......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I would like to see the proof of that, otherwise it is just hearsay.  You were on the Atlas board at one time, no?
Say what you will, but the brother keeps it real.  No reason a $135 loco sold today, should need any adjusting to run properly, by the buyer.  And maybe you did not watch the whole review, but that was not the only problem.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

As Jack (ALCO0001) stated:

Quote from: ALCO0001 on November 01, 2014, 03:05:59 PM
Hello,
I fixed the height issue on all of them by shaving down the truck pin , but that leaves a large gap between the worm gear cover rods that hold the truck in, and the frame.Maybe needs a shim and that would take care of the tipping where that torque to the wheels is lost.You know tip the frame and body rather then spin the gears to turn the wheel .I was thinking of a spring at the truck pin to surround the bolster or a o-ring that I believe would make a wider bolster to stop the tip.These things have a lot of torque, but it is not getting to the wheel because of this . I like these engines ,but with these issues it makes a possible great diesel by Bachmann WITH ALL THERE EFFORTS Disappointing that if they were caught before they left the production line a good engine could have been great .But with some ideas this can be fixed to make them what they should be. So what do you think IDEAS?

Jack
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

I'da given that engine to a kid who would not have cared about minor detail issues.

jbrock27

One person posted the same suggestion to him on the current forum he is on (maybe that was you?)  Many more agreed as he spent his $$, he was free to do what he would with it, even if simply to make a point.  He said he was giving it to a You
Tuber who asked him for it.  And just so you are aware, it was not just a matter of "details".
How about yourself?  You donate and/or give away things?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Whoever was on here previously discussing the right of someone to do what he chooses to do with  things he'd spent his money on, wasn't me, I am very new on this forum.  I agree though, do what you want with your stuff, but there "are" "better" and "worse" things you could do.

Now.  About giving things away ......

We had several young teenage members at one time in a club I was in.

One had no money at all, it was really kind of sad.  With his parents permission, I slowly gave him gave him about 20 or 30 pieces of rolling stock I really didn't need that I'd upgraded past.  Man that kid was beyond thrilled with stuff serous modelers would laugh at.

Another kid was a little better off, but I gave him an almost give away deal on a steam engine with a decoder I didn't care for much, that did not operationally meet my requirements any more.  That kid also was in heaven, should seen him running that thing around blowing the whistle.

Another thing I did for those guys that didn't cost me anything but was treasure to them, was a stockpile a various plastic knuckle couplers I'd saved when replacing with Kadee scale-sized couplers.  Three of those guys were able to completely go knuckle-coupler and skip the "transition" stage discussed earlier.

The same thing with plastic wheels. When converting to metal wheel sets I kept all the better ones for those guys who then were able to get rid of pizza cutter wheels on all of their problem cars..

So ...... How about it?  What have some of you others done for kid modelers?  Some of it is a small expense, some not.  If an engine doesn't run good enough for you, you will never get your money back selling it, but you "could" make someone's day with a gift.  Selling used model railroad equipment is almost never profitable enough to be worth it.....  the intangible value of a well directed gift is beyond words.

jbrock27

TM, I wan't referring to what anyone posted on this forum-I had said it was someone on the forum he (Big Al) is currently on, which is not this one.

Good to know you have some past actions behind your suggestion.  Good on you.  I hope those same kids you helped out, weren't lacking food or clothing, as I see those as infinitely more important than having trains.  I am big supporter of Salvation Army myself, as well as a few other charities.  

I don't sell any any train items as I am with you, I don't see it as a money making proposition.

Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

This thread has totally derailed.....