News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers that do not match.

Started by Bill1462, November 29, 2014, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

To Bill1462  : All discretionary spending or hobbies are in serious decline due to the abysmal state of the economy in this country . Without a vital middle  class to fund the industries in this country economic  growth is stagnant .  Rich people don't support their own economies , they are usually out of touch with the way the real world  operates.   Young people don't have the money or the discretion  to buy the really necessary goods & services they will need . John2.

Trainman203

Bill you usually have to make your own shims for things like couplers with vertical play, it's not something the hobby shop sells.  I know you hate doing that kind of work, so do I, but sometimes  it must be done.  The clear hard slick plastic that seals tools to cardboard backing in hardware stores is good stock for something like that.  You cut a little tiny piece the right size and slip it into the coupler pocket below the coupler shank to raise it if it drops down too much.  You may have to experiment with thickness some to get it right.

If you aren't up to any of this, as I suspect you may be, the yard master said a while back to call Bachmann's service department.  I've had nothing but good luck with those guys.

Msybe there's another modeler around your area too.  The hobby shop probably sells them stuff and knows where they are.

Happy railroading, this will all work out.  I'm about played out, don't know what else to suggest.

James in FL

Hi Bill1462,

Shim making is rather simple, after you know what size (thickness) you need other than trial and error.
I've always considered it part of the hobby.
Save sections of blister packing and thin card stock or, it can be purchased from your favorite etailer.

I live in the "Bay area" about 4 - 5? miles from my LHS, which is H&R Trains in Pinellas Park.
I don't know how far exactly, but a nice bike ride.
They have a full time technician and plenty of stock.
They want to sell and retire.
Alice and Don have been here forever and both are approaching their 80's.
They are old school.
Inventory is great, better than most. In all scales.
Internet presence is next to nothing, again old school, do not compete with best prices on the web.

IMO you have to do this to be competitive and survive.

A great business opportunity to the right person.

All of this can be fixed with a young entrepreneur with desire and resources.

Yeah, five years may be generous.

jbrock27

Bill, again, I am not pointing you in the direction of driving anywhere.  You are thinking 1 dimensionally.  The INTERNET Bill, the INTERNET!  I am sure you have heard of it ::)  There is whole big shopping experience waiting to be had out there.  
Thank you for your frankness about your abilities, it helps me understand where you are coming from a little better.  I have to ask you though, how did you put those 2 layouts together??

I agree with your comments and JH2's comments about the state of affairs in the hobby, the economy, young(er) people and rich people .  It is funny how I have read recently the economy is picking up ???

I don't agree with TM that is it necessary to have to MAKE shims (what are really washers) to fix vertical play, although you can make them using Jim Banner's method of using 2 blocks of wood, a drill, some Evergreen styrenne sheet and a whole punch (a search here will show this up).  But the reason it is not necessary to make them, is that Kadee makes them (hello, I posted this a few pages ago ::))  

Bill, still waiting for an answer from you to my question to you about the screws.  BTW, all of this is academic if you don't have, or are willing to invest the few bucks for a Kadee coupler height gauge.  But hey, if you want to give the money to the USPS instead on the way to shipping your items off, that is entirely up to you.  
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

A great business opportunity to the right person.

All of this can be fixed with a young entrepreneur with desire and resources.

Honestly, I think this is a little pie in the sky, unless you are talking about a complete transition to RC stuff.

And for what it is worth with regard to trying to fix and or work on things, painting, weathering, detailing etc, I have a good friend in the hobby who is always saying "you gotta try things"; and he is absolutely right.  As is said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Kadee makes shims?  News to me.  Brock I dont read every letter of every post,.  Even at my age I still have a job and a family, and a layout, to keep me busy.  But thanks for telling me and Bill.  I need to read their web page more closely.  I've read between the lines enough to see that vertical coupler play is the problem, tightening things doesn't work, so shims are certainly a solution.  And you don't even have to make them!  Glory hallelujah!

Brock I do have to agree that if Bill built those pretty nice layouts , which took a fair amount of ability to do, it is kind of odd that a minor coupler problem would create such a (I've been waiting a long time to use this big and perfect word) "kerfuffle."

rogertra

Shims?  In/on Kadee couplers?????  Never!

I've been a model railroader for some 55 years and I've never, ever had to use shims on properly installed Kadee couplers.  Either mounted in the Kadee coupler box or in the coupler box provided on the car.  Or have I misunderstood your post?

I've used Kadee washers between the truck and car body to raise body mounted couplers (The only way to install them) that are too low.

Very occasionally I've used thin Plastruct spacers to lower a body mounted Kadee coupler box that's riding too high.

But shims inside a properly installed Kadee coupler box?  Never!  Or, as I wrote above, have I misunderstood the problem?

If you are having to use shims inside a coupler box, I'd respectfully suggest you recheck how you installed the coupler(s).

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Oh goodness, this just keeps getting better an better (heavy RichG like sigh)...

For TM: yes Kadee makes coupler box "shims" that come in 2 thicknesses:  http://www.toysperiod.com/kadee-211-draft-gear-shims-20pk-for-ho-couplers-49-p-240.html.  This are to be used to lower the coupler box by putting them between the car and coupler box (I have also seen the thicker ones used in a pinch as a coupler box cover) used on the outside of the coupler box of course, Roger.  And yes I do think ole boy, that you have misunderstood me.  I don't see anywhere where I said to put shims inside a coupler box.  See that I put shims in quotes above in tying to use lingo TM was.  Please see I also used the phrase what are really washers.  

For everyone: yes, Kadee makes those (washers) as well, again, in 2 thicknesses: http://www.powerhobby.com/model-trains-13/n-scale/kadee-208-fiber-washers-015-red-48.html.  These have several uses, from being mounted on a bolster between a truck and car body to raise the height of the car (as Roger astutely noted) to, get ready for it, inside the coupler box, to either straighten out by putting it under a coupler or lowering it's height a little by putting it on top of the coupler, all the time inside the coupler box.

If you are having to use shims inside a coupler box, I'd respectfully suggest you recheck how you installed the coupler(s).  Was this really necessary?  >:(  I decline your suggestion; I have a height gauge and have all the above mentioned parts and I know how to use and install them thanks.  I am not the one having the problem here remember??   If I did not know better, I would think you were just trying to stir it up Roger as I don't see you making any suggestions for Wild Bill  ::).

TM, I appreciate your seeing my point regarding the skill needed to build those 2 nice layouts and my question about the ability for Bill to solve his problems.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bill1462

"I appreciate your seeing my point regarding the skill needed to build those 2 nice layouts and my question about the ability for Bill to solve his problems."

The answer is quite simple. I bought a book about  setting up scenery at the hobby store. Woodland Scenics also markets starter kits that provide instructions and opportunities to experiment to see what looks good or authentic.

And let's face it. It's a lot easier to spread or spray glue and cover it with the grass and soil stuff, or build a tunnel with newspapers, Styrofoam, plaster cloth, paint, and grass and soil stuff than it is take an engine apart or even put together a coupler assembly. When I get to the point of working with small parts, it's like my fingers seem to grow ten times in size. And when disassembling something is not intuitive to me, I get gun shy because I know the chances are good that I will not be able to reassemble it the way it was.

You guys who have mechanical find it so easy. My talents lie in the ability to grade antiques, spot counterfeits and deduce if something has been altered from its original state. People ask, "How can you do that?" My answer is 55 years of experience plus some innate ability that through the years I've learned that other people don't have. I received that gift or talent, but mechanical stuff is beyond me.

I have infinite respect for the guy who can fix my car, the plumbing in my house or build a great kitchen cabinet. I know how a car engine works and what the parts do so that I can usually tell the mechanic what's wrong, but I could no more fix it than fly to the moon without rocket. I don't why some college educated people look down on those who are in the trades. They have my respect. Sure I graduated from college with a couple of degrees, but I can't do what they do very well.

My parents pushed the concept that you were supposed to be good at everything. I found that that template was a recipe that could lead to ulcers and psychotherapy. From my studies of economics I've learned specialization and taking advantage of the freedom to find your own path led to success. 

And by the way, thanks for your posts, guys. I've learned a lot about DCC. As for couplers, that's another story.

jbrock27

What some find easy to do, others may not.  That is the point you are making Wild Bill, right?  I understand and appreciate what you are saying.  Many of the things you can do, I have not.  Not yet anyway, but plan to.
But as you have shown and attest to your ability to learn by researching and trying something, the same can be done here.  Have some confidence, some patience and give it a try and see what happens.  With the right tools, it is easy.  What is the worst that happens?  What is the best thing that can happen?
Your're more than welcome for the posts.  I hope you get to working it out.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

nothing ventured nothing gained.

for what it's worth, i can build track including switches but am hopeless on scenery. oh i can get the plaster up, but when it comes to rock outcros and trees, nothing i do looks real to me.

that's the nice thing about this hobby. you don't have to master it all. concentrate on the things you enjoy.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

nothing ventured nothing gained.

Great minds think alike...

Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Bill-

Ninety-five percent of the battle in working on model trains is intimidation. We fear breaking something valuable or making a mess for ourselves. The only way around that is to jump in and open something up. I'm an old hand (with the emphasis on old) in model railroading so I don't confront the intimidation demon often, at least when it comes to trains, but I have certainly noticed that parts seem to be trending smaller while my fingers get a little larger each time I use them. And I do face that novelty anxiety when I attempt something new, whether on the train board or around the house. But, again, the only way around that is to start a new project.

Helpful tip for new efforts: Use the camera on your cell phone to take pictures as you go. This will allow you to get things back in order and help with that reluctance to try something new. When you're done, you can delete the pictures and never waste any money developing or printing film.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           -- D

electrical whiz kid

Hi Doneldon;
Boy, I bet you wouldn't be so lively and ready to roll with a brass locomotive in the four-figure range, huh?  I know I sure as hell would think twice.

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 02, 2014, 07:38:28 PM
Hi Doneldon;
Boy, I bet you wouldn't be so lively and ready to roll with a brass locomotive in the four-figure range, huh?  I know I sure as hell would think twice.

Wiz-

Well, I haven't had the need to dig into one of the pricey brassies yet but I've sure gotten into others. See, the thing is, the mechanics and electronics are pretty much the same across the board. Once I gave up on insulating open-frame motors and just remotored locos with cans I've found most challenges to be surmountable. The only place I draw the line is with other people's models; I don't want to take the chance of damaging somebody else's model.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       -- D