News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers that do not match.

Started by Bill1462, November 29, 2014, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
Yeah, I can understand that.  As a rule, I don't get too involved with other peoples' models, but will obviously do my own.  As you might remember him, the late Bill Schopp would dive headlong into some brass beauty, and I would cringe at the thought of my doing so. 
Open frame motors are subject to a lot of evil happenings that usually happen in a long tunnel, etc.  I like the newer motors for a lot of reasons.  being an electrician and have gotten involved largely with motor controls has helped me a lot with this hobby.  Still, I kind of shy away from motor replacement; but that is just me.
RIch C.

Doneldon

Rich-

Remotoring is like just about anything else you can think of: the first one is filled with reservations and an excessive need to double- and
triple-check everything but by the time you're finished you're already planning the next swap out.
                                                                                                                                                -- D

sandyclaws

I too have a coupler problem.. I have a Bachmann train and engine set ..'The Liberty Bell'  and I have the Bachmann Spectrum New York Central.  I wanted to connect my passenger cars from the 'Liberty Bell' to the Spectrum.  I think I understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that for me to get the passenger cars to run with the Spectrum I must check the space and or length between the two type of sets and see if they match?  Then are you saying that if there is no match do I just unscrew the couplers from the higher cars and replace them with lower couplers from the others?  This won't for me because the Spectrum couplers or wheels are taller I think.  Do you suppose I could find some couplers for DCC trains that would fit my passenger cars?

jward

all couplers should match the nmra standards for height. the easiest way to measure this is with a kadee coupler height guage.  if your cars coupelrs are too low, first make sure they don't have a bent shank. if so, you need to replace them. if they are not bent. you can try raising the low ones by adding thin washers between the car floor and the truck bolster. kadee makes washers for this purpose,
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA