News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation won't go

Started by lvrr325, December 07, 2014, 11:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

Picked up a New York Central consolidation, older run, in the box at a show that appeared to have been test run only - the couplers were never installed - for a good price.

Went to test it and it lights up, motor spins, engine does not move. 

Any idea what headache I'm looking at here?  It doesn't free roll so I presume it's a belt issue, but there isn't even a diagram of the thing here on the site to get an idea what I'm dealing with. 

I expect I'm probably on my own to fix it, since while boxed the paperwork was absent so no warranty card. 

jonathan

Ivrr,

Here are some links that will help you replace the belt.  Sounds like that is the part that's amiss:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23864.0.html

The link above is some repair work I did to a Heavy Mountain, BUT the motor and belt construction is nearly identical to the 2-8-0.  There are a few nice pix that will be very helpful I'm sure.

This link will show you how to disassemble your 2-8-0:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13232.0.html

This link shows how I repaired a bad belt on one of my own Connies.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,14474.0.html

The part is very inexpensive... when they are in stock.  Call the service department, if you can't find the belt in the online parts dept.

Good luck.

Regards,

Jonathan

lvrr325

Found a diagram; fix doesn't look too tough, but repair department was less than helpful when I asked what current policy is on a fix, given the belts show as out of stock right now.

jbrock27

What kind of policy (warranty) were you expecting (looking for) ?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Best to call the service department and ask for the service manager. They can discuss your options with you. The 2-8-0 drive belts will be restocked but it will most likely be early next year.

Irbricksceo

Just want to chime in here, I had one that did this, I never managed to fix it and got it replaced by Bmann through service dept. To this day, I don't know what caused it but the motor turned free, the worm just did not mesh with the axle gear.
Modeling NYC in N

lvrr325

I was expecting whomever answered my email to answer my question, which is, how are they handling fixing these right now given no belts in stock, do they have belts in the repair department, or would they just swap out the chassis?

I got a standard line because the folks who answer email don't know anything about the repair side.

Bucksco

Quote from: lvrr325 on December 09, 2014, 12:44:12 PM
I was expecting whomever answered my email to answer my question, which is, how are they handling fixing these right now given no belts in stock, do they have belts in the repair department, or would they just swap out the chassis?

I got a standard line because the folks who answer email don't know anything about the repair side.

This is why it was suggested to speak with the service manager - Call (215) 533-1600 and ask for Laura Harris.

MrBandO

I had this problem.  It turned out to be the gear on the motor that engages the belt.  It was split.  If you search Bachmann's parts, you will see that a new motor and gear assembly is $18.00, and it is pretty straight-forward to replace, especially with Jonathan's tutorial on how to get the consol apart:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?topic=13232.0

Greg

lvrr325

You really need to buy a motor to get the gear? 

I did plan to take it apart to diagnose it before ordering anything. 

Irbricksceo

That sounds like a good Idea. The 2-8-0 Is fairly simple to take apart, just don't loose anything! Actually... I burned out the bulb on one of mine last time I went into it so I should replace it... hmm....
Modeling NYC in N

MrBandO

Yeah.  The gear is between the motor and flywheel.  After I replaced the motor, I thought I'd take the gear off the old motor, and keep it as a spare.  I couldn't get the flywheel off for love or money, so had I only been able to buy the gear, I would have been out of luck.

Greg

Quote from: lvrr325 on December 09, 2014, 03:02:54 PM
You really need to buy a motor to get the gear? 

I did plan to take it apart to diagnose it before ordering anything. 

lvrr325

Well, I opened it up Saturday and sure enough, it's the gear. 

MrBandO

Is it black, by any chance?  Mine was, and the replacements they sent were white, and I am wondering if they got a bad batch of gears in whatever the black material is?  I am assuming that the white gears are of a different "engineering" plastic.

Greg

BillD53A

I just saw this thread for the first time.  I have a 2-8-0 with the same problem.  At first I thought it was the belt, and I was told that the 2-8-0 / 2-10-0 belts are the same as the 4-8-2 belts.  I ordered the 4-8-2 belts and they are NOT the same.  (My order arrived in 4 days).  Looking deeper, I noticed that the cog wheel on the motor shaft was spinning freely.  I put the project on the back burner for a while, because I have other locos I can use, and just ordered a new motor on Monday.  I don't think Bachmann sells any other belts that will work for this loco.  I looked for belts from other sources (McMaster-Carr, etc.) and was not able to find anything that would work.  I once read that there was a computer repair kit that had the same belt in it, but that was many, many years ago.  I have no idea if those kits are still available, or where to get them.  The old motor still works fine.  Maybe I can use it to remotor an old Athearn or something.