Question Re: B'Man 67018 diesel from an HO Neophyte

Started by Big-Al-MD, December 11, 2014, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

Quote from: Doneldon on December 11, 2014, 09:35:34 PM
It used to include locos with just an electrically-isolated motor but I'm pretty sure that Bachmann isn't calling such merchandise as DCC Ready any more. If I'm mistaken on that someone else on this board will straighten me out pretty quickly.
Just as a heads up this still applies to a few select models, limited to some GP and SD units often times for smaller road names where no DCC on board version was offered. My Bachmann W&LE SD40-2 is called DCC ready technically and even listed as such in the online store but only has an isolated motor with no provision for easier decoder installation such as a socket/plug/pads/etc.

Doneldon

Jim-

Nothing! But that's not what I was critical of.

My point had to do with the expectation that dealers should service and help with merchandise which was purchased elsewhere, like at a different shop, on line or used from a train show. Skillful, knowledgeable employees cost shop owners money. Why should a non-customer expect to benefit from that expertise for free? It seems rather presumptuous to me, at best, and unfair to the shop owner.
                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on December 14, 2014, 05:48:36 AM
Jim-

Nothing! But that's not what I was critical of.

My point had to do with the expectation that dealers should service and help with merchandise which was purchased elsewhere, like at a different shop, on line or used from a train show. Skillful, knowledgeable employees cost shop owners money. Why should a non-customer expect to benefit from that expertise for free? It seems rather presumptuous to me, at best, and unfair to the shop owner.
                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

Agree 100%.  I purchased a 2-10-0 from a hobby store in Abbotsford, BC.  Through my own clumsiness I broke one of the wires from the engine to the tender.  I took it to my LHS and asked if they could repair it for me as my eyesight is no longer up to fine soldering.  I was more than happy to pay them $20 for the soldering job and did not begrudge them one penny.  And that's how it should be.

Cheers

Roger t.

jbrock27

Ahh, now I understand what you mean Doc.
Sure, that makes  sense, but I guess the operative word is "expectation".  I don't know why any reasonable thinking person would expect that kind of service from a place they did not buy the product from, for free.   Like Roger, I would expect to pay someone for their help in that circumstance.

Roger and here I was thinking you work out all your loco problems yourself.  And I agree w/you, paying for the servie is how it should be.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Big-Al-MD

Donalddon,

No I don't expect something for nothing (I never even filed for unemployment when I got RIFed, stubborn fend for myself German philosophy).  I just meant I had to find out if I bought a DCC+Sound from the dealer my Grandson bought the engine fro, do they provide servicing/repair that I could hire them to install it.  The repair shop I use for my O Gauge only services O.

As to providing a picture of the engine w/ shell removed - I'm not used to these small trains and couldn't even see how the shell is removed.  The O gauge always has screws, the screws on this engine only allowed  for the coupler to be replaced.  Any help on finding disassembly instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, a little at a time I'm starting to get it.

Al

jbrock27

Big A, go to the home page on this Forum and click on the Product Reference screen and follow choices to find a blow up of your loco.  HO uses screws too.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 14, 2014, 07:29:58 AM

Like Roger, I would expect to pay someone for their help in that circumstance.

Roger and here I was thinking you work out all your loco problems yourself.  And I agree w/you, paying for the servie is how it should be.

I usually do but since eye surgery in January, to insert a plastic lens into my right eye, my close up vision is shot.  I can read a newspaper from half a mile away but 12 inches away?  Forget it.  Drug store reading glasses don't help.

I've just been given permission to go ahead and order a new pair of prescription glasses  so hopefully my close up eyesight will improve enough I can go back to taking care of things myself.

Cheers

Roger T.

Big-Al-MD

HO'ers,

The store my Grandson bought this from provides no services. The fellow they used has his phone number disconnected, I guess he moved South.
Does anyone have contacts for people/businesses you have used to install DCC+Sound in an engine of yours that you had satisfactory service with?

I know the DCC decoder install is easy as 8 pin connector is in engine, but I would like lights & sound set up as well.

Thanks
Al

jbrock27

Roger, I hope the new glasses provide you with improvement!

Big A, have you looked in your Yellow Pages or searched online for a place nearby you ?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Big-Al-MD

Jbrock27

Yes, did that, all the train store within 1 hr drive don't do DCC installs.  I figure I'll have to find someone to ship it to.

Thx,Al