News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

fastening rails to tressle track .

Started by Jhanecker2, December 09, 2014, 10:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

How does one properly fasten Code 100 rails to tressle  track ties ? Ties  are plastic . John2.

Hunt

One way -- use a very small amount of cyanoacrylate glue to attach the trestle to the bottom of the ties. 

rogertra

Normally one attaches the the rails to the trestle bridge timbers, not the plastic ties that come with the track, otherwise it will look odd.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

JH2, I have used hot glue or an adhesive called E-6000 that you can buy at a craft store like Micheal's or Jo-Ann Fabrics, when I have glued sectional track to a trestle (plastic on plastic).  I put either adhesive on the trestle first then put the track in place.  Those 2 stores offer 50% and 40% off coupons regularly, on regular priced items, which the glue is.  I like the E-6000 for a lot of things.  And while not pretty, I know it is possible to remove the track with minimal damage to the trestle when I used the hot glue.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

J. Brock:  There is a product known as "Barge Cement".  Jack Parker, of Central Valley HO recommends it when using this practice.  Also, might I recommend using his bridge tie assemblies?
My guess is that it behaves much like Weldwood Cement; a contact type cement.  I have used the latter on my track work, both plastic and wood, fibre, etc; with good results.
Rich C.

Doneldon

Barge Cement is, indeed, a contact adhesive, It grabs very tightly so be certain that the track is located exactly correctly. Try dry-fitting the pieces and mark the bridge deck with the precise spot for the track.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

JBrock;
No problem.  I have attempted a lot of approaches to track-work, and some I swear by, and others I swear at-just like most of us here.  What I like about any product like Weldwood is that it attacks the plastic tie composition so that the surface is accessible to make good adhesion to the nickel-silver rail.  I am using 1/4inch subflooring as sub road-bed for this next layout, laminating three pieces while staggering the ends.  It is something I saw, and called it good.  the part that is really good is having a good solid uniform surface that I like better than homasote.  Oh, and I give the top lamination a coat of shellac.  This seems to work like gang-busters so far.
The noise of the motor will probably be an issue, but not one which I would find problematic.  Many years standing in front of guitar amps has taken care of that!
RIch C.

Jhanecker2

Thanks to all who responded . I am trying to attach rails to the tressle track ties .  I purchased a Walthers tressle track & bridge kit # 933-6147 and will eventually have to   fasten  N/S rails to them . They appear to have a deliniated area to align them but wonder how fasten them in gauge .  Anybody know what books describe the process ?  John2.

rogertra

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on December 11, 2014, 08:15:47 PM
Thanks to all who responded . I am trying to attach rails to the tressle track ties .  I purchased a Walthers tressle track & bridge kit # 933-6147 and will eventually have to   fasten  N/S rails to them . They appear to have a deliniated area to align them but wonder how fasten them in gauge .  Anybody know what books describe the process ?  John2.

Walthers catalogue contains no trestle or bridge 933-6147.

In fact, using the Walthers on line catalogue I couldn't even find a part number 933-6147.  :(

Cheers

Roger T.

WoundedBear

I know what you're talking about. I have a similar Walthers item on my layout. The rail chairs are molded into the ties and you set the rail in the slight groove they form.

I used a small amount of slow setting CA to affix the rails to the plastic deck/ties. After painting and weathering, any excess disappeared.

Sid

rogertra

Quote from: WoundedBear on December 11, 2014, 10:18:27 PM
I know what you're talking about. I have a similar Walthers item on my layout. The rail chairs are molded into the ties and you set the rail in the slight groove they form.

I used a small amount of slow setting CA to affix the rails to the plastic deck/ties. After painting and weathering, any excess disappeared.

Sid

What Sid says.  Most model trestles and bridges come this way.

Cheers

Roger T.

WoundedBear

I think he's dealing with a Walthers 933-3147...try that number.

Sid

rogertra

Quote from: WoundedBear on December 11, 2014, 10:25:03 PM
I think he's dealing with a Walthers 933-3147...try that number.

Sid

Nice looking trestle.  :)

I'll have to look up its Cooper's rating and see if I can use on my mainline.  If not, on the "Paper Branch" and restrict locos to the 2-10-0s, 4-6-0s and 2-6-0s.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

WoundedBear

It may be nice looking....in the photos.

I prefer to invest a little time and effort and build mine from scratch with wood. I made an easy template for the bents that cuts assembly time by a lot. O gauge pine ties work nicely for HO bridge ties and I can spike right into them.

But then again, I tend to get obsessive.....like this support structure under this deck. Good thing I took a pic, because it will probably never see the light of day again. ;D

Sid