News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radio Control for HO

Started by Atlantic Central, October 22, 2007, 11:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Thanks Sheldon

I got lost about midway through the narration, probably will ask for schematics later.  At my age the brain overloads pretty fast. When you get it all perfected, we'll be seeing your book from Kalmbach.  Go for it.  Be sure to copyright all your manuscripts and schematics and overlay a huge watermark before disclosing them, guess you know that already.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Atlantic Central

Update:

Tonight our local group will be at my house for a demonstration of how the pushbutton block selector and the TE work together. I have the test prototype of the block selector, with two pushbutton stations and train detection set up on a small section of my layout.

While assembling the pushbutton stations it accured to me that they could be simplified with a circuit board as well. So later today I will be in touch with my circuit board guy, see how things are coming, and add some work to his list.

My "real" job has been very busy, but I expect to make good progress on my revised layout plan and the control system by early spring.

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

Probably a dumb question, but could it be helpful to all concerned to videotape a portion of the mtg to see operation in action?  As a visual learner it helps me a lot to see it up close and personal.  Thank you.  If you folks cannot post a video, I will just have to see it in my mind's eye!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

Jack,

What a good idea! Unfortunately I don't even own a video camera let alone know how to post such a thing on the web. And, everyone will be here in less than two hours.

But I will look into getting some help with that in the future because it would be a great way to explain some of this.

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

I should think a digital video recorder would work well.  It should be able to be uploaded via a USB port to U-Tube or a similar format, then linked in a post on this forum.  Don't forget to smile for the birdie!

If anyone has expertise with this, could you please refine my rather cursory comments.  Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

Update,

Last nights meeting went very well. Most of our local group was in attendance and I deminstrated and explained the control system and the Aristo Craft Train Engineer. Everyone was impressed with the excelent speed control of the Train Engineer and its simple to use controls. The pushbuttom block controller was also deminstrated and everyone was inpressed with its ease of operation and the intuitive nature of the concept.

Some of the most curious where those who use DCC. Several could not believe the loco performance and asked me several times if "any modifications to loco had been done", again, no.

The demo loco of choice was a Bachmann Spectrum Heavy Mountain pulling a short train of about 16 piggyback flats. It ran flawlessly all evening back and forth on about 70' of track on my upper deck which is wired to the test unit of the new system.

Production of the circuit boards is now the only thing holding up installation of the system on the first layout to be converted, one of the group members.

And as the reconstruction of my layout progresses it will obviously be installed there.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

In addition to the controller circuit board, I am developing a circuit board to allow quick, easy and modular wiring of the control panel pushbuttons. This will greatly simplify the wiring needed to install the system.

A busy "work" schedule has slowed completion of the system docmentation and application notes, but it is in the works and will be ready soon!

One of the layouts already slated for conversion has been on NMRA National and Local Convention tours as well as regional open house programs, so by this comming fall, those who can travel to the Mid Atlantic may have the oppertunity to see the system in operation. that's are plan anyway.

When that layout, or some significant part of my layout, are operational with the system, we will also try to video the operation of the system.

On the next break I get from "work", I will also start testing the Aristo accessory controller to see how that might be applied to HO layouts, possibly for sound effect control or other additional features.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

The design for the block controller circuit board is complete and preproduction samples are in the works - as soon as they are made and tested a first production batch will be manufactured and be available for the first several layout conversions.

Still very busy here but additional documentation is progressing.

Several additional modelers have expressed interest - at this rate the first production run will be spoken for before it is produced!

Sheldon

Guilford Guy

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but does the system support sound functions? We use the Aristo Train Engineer for DC at the Youth Club.
Thanks,
GG
Alex

Atlantic Central

Guilford Guy,

I'm still working on that part - but, if you are familar with the TE, than you know it has 5 accessory buttons. I will be doing tests with the Aristo accessory recievers soon to see how easily those buttons can be set up to operate sound functions just like the various DC accessory controllers on the market.

Since I don't use sound, it ws not important for me in the begining, but I know others will be interested so I will be testing and developing a way to use those accessory outputs for sound and/or other functions.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

A fresh shipment of additional Train Engineers and an accessory reciever for additional testing arived yesterday. Today the mailman brought the test prototype circuit board and preliminary tests where made this evening. All looks and works great!

More detailed testing will take place over the next few days and a production run should be in the works soon.

Assemby of additional TE/power supply combos has begun to supply both my layout and the other layout slated for conversion.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

Well there seems to be light at the end of the work tunnel that will allow a return to more concetrated work on the layout and control system.

The plan is to have both circuit boards and complete documentation ready in about a month.

Also, a new multi voltage power supply for the relay boards and signal system is under development.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

Aristo Craft is currently out of stock on the replacement rubber antenna for the Train Engineer, so I have built and tested my own shorter, friendlier, indoor antenna.

At only 4" high, it is shorter than the Aristo rubber antenna or the metal antenna when colapsed, and preliminary tests show no loss in range compared to the Aristo rubber antenna.

The circuit borads are in production! Another meeting at my house this past week displayed the preproduction board and the new shorter antenna.

Work is finially catching up and completion of the documentation will follow shortly.

Sheldon

richG

This may not add anything to the discussion but at a MRR show back in January, I watched two "little" engineers controlling their locos with the Aristo wireless. What I found interesting is they stayed with their consist walking around the layout. They were not in some remote location. The outer loop was double headed. The inside loop Thomas engines were being run. They were having a great time.

Rich

Atlantic Central

RichG,

Thanks for sharing this, especially with the photo. That is exactly what this whole thread is about!

My pushbutton block controller will allow the Aristo Train Engineer (same throttle used in the photo) to be used not only for display operation as shown here, but for more advanced multi train, walk around operation sessions on layouts intended to be operated in a prototypical manner - and, retain the simple operation and display running features you saw at the show.

Sheldon