News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radio Control for HO

Started by Atlantic Central, October 22, 2007, 11:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Thanks for the update, Sheldon. It will be great to get the details of the functioning unit when it is installed.- Mike

Mike

Sheldon- In your latest post on the HO thread, you said that you thought you would have your system running for your regional NMRA meeting. When and where? Will you be open to the public? I'd sure like to see it close up.- Mike

Atlantic Central

Mike,

I will contact you off list regarding this.

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Sheldon- In your latest post on the HO thread, you said that you thought you would have your system running for your regional NMRA meeting. When and where? Will you be open to the public? I'd sure like to see it close up.- Mike

Dear Sheldon,

My sentiments, too. 

Any chance you could video a running session and post here or on You-Tube?

I should be moving to a new home soon, and will get started with a newly constructed HO layout.  Will contact you off-line regarding circuitry and components.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

Jack,

I will contact you, Mike and others off list very soon with the details. There will be a public show available in the fall. The MER show will be by invitation.

As for you-tube, well I don't even own a video recorder, but I will see what can be done. We are planning lots of photo documentation and a possible print article.

Private demostrations will be possible as well.

The work is going well and we expect to have the layout running in a week or two.

More latter,

Sheldon

Mike

In those famous words: "anticipating!"- Mike

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

My el cheapo Kodak digital camera, about the size of a pack of cigarettes takes very nice videos.  Just the ticket for an informal event.  Hand held or on a tripod, it will work nicely.  Surely one of your friends or club members has one. If not you can borrow mine.  Less than 120 clams at Sam's Club.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

Update:

New now have the system about 60% installed and where able to test run our first loco around the layout. Everything worked as planned/designed.

This is good has the layout is scheduled for public viewings in October and  November.

Those of you who have been in touch with me directly, you will get more info very soon. We wanted to be sure we would be online and running before we made commitments to show the system. With todays successfull test we are right on schedule.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

The user control panels are now nearly complete and are installed in most locations. Only minor problems have be incountered and no design problems have been found. All works as planned/designed.

Work this coming weekend should bring us to a 90% completion level.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

The installation of the radio controlled pushbutton cab control system is basicly complete and we will be deminstrating it on Sunday! A few ajustments and inhancements remain but the system works exactly as planned!

Because we installed the system on an existing layout, replacing an older rotary switch cab control system, which used tethered throttles, we had a number of track section (electrical block) issues to resolve, new or different gaps/feeders needed, etc.

Had this been a new layout, with track sections planned for this system, installation would have been even easier.

Next week our local group will see and run it and I will report on the results.

I would like to thank Alan Anderson for the opportunity to install and test the system on his layout, and thanks to Dave Renard and Ken Meyer for their help with the project. Also a special thanks to Chuck Davis of Oak Tree Systems for his help with the block control circuit board.

So what have we learned and/or acheived?

We have added wireless walkaround control to a layout without having to install decoders - this was important since many of the locos are older brass and are small (shays, etc)

We kept things simple with only few buttons to push, simple controllers, and few "rules" to learn.

We spent an average amount of money compared to the orginal control system or a DCC system, but we saved all the decoder installation expense and problems.

We used some technoligy that is nearly 100 years old, mixed with some up to date radio technoligy - new is not always better, often just different.

We where able "build" 80% of the system on the workbench, making installation easy and straight forward. The only "special" part is my block controller circuit board, all the rest are readily available electronics componants.

We are not at the "mercy" of any one manufacturer for continued support. Even if Aristo stopped making the Train Engineer, The throttle portion of the system could be replaced with a similar product like the one from RCS, with no change to the rest of the system.

So thanks for listening and if you have any other questions feel free to ask here or contact me direct.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Update:

This past Tuesday our local group saw and operated the new control system for the first time. We had a big crowd! Several crews operated trains with only minimal instruction. A few minor ajustments remain and will be completed this comming week.

The next open house is November 9th, if you are interested, please contact me directly for info.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Sunday's open house was a complete success!

Two operators ran trains all day without any problems of failures of any kind! The control system worked perfectly for 4 hours of uninterruped train running. Visitors saw the system in operation and many where amazed at its ease of use and flawless operation.

I am now writing a complete book on the system and its design, construction and operation.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Now that the first system is installed and working, and the instruction book is in progress, I have concluded that it would be practical for me to do custom wiring diagrams for those interested in using the control system.

With the instruction book (which will contain most standard track configurations) and any custom diagrams needed, anyone with basic electrcial skills should be able to build and install the system.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

In addition to the work of preparing the book on the system, I have been working on the details of the companion signaling system for my layout.

This may be of interest to a great number of people since it will also work with DCC, and has a lower cost than most solid statesystems I have looked at.

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

Glad to see such nice progress!  Will your book be hard copy or an e-book?

Hope to get down your way the next open house(s).

Best Wishes,

Jack