News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Ho train Kit

Started by MrMoose, December 13, 2014, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoose

Hi everyone,

I just received my new train kit...It is a Bachmann Echo Valley set, it is Dcc and sound.

And I just went out and got the lumber to build my table. It will be a 4x8 layout.

This is going to be my layout as for now.

http://www.servimg.com/view/13546220/180

Doneldon

Moosie-

This looks like an interesting small layout. You'll have to stay with comparatively small equipment but there are lots of operational
possibilities. I salute your choice.
                                                    -- D

rogertra

"Model Railroader" magazine have just publish an annual of sorts, all about designing smaller model railroaders.  It should be in hobby shops now as I picked up a copy today.

A quick glance shows some interesting tips on designing smaller model railroads and designs that are thinking outside the box.  I.E., avoiding the beginners 4 x 8 trap.

Yes, I do not have a small model railroad and I am not a beginner but there are always new things everyone can learn, even in a magazine aimed at beginners, like this latest publication.

I strongly suggest any beginner pick up a copy.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

MM, I like this layout, looks like fun :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

MrMoose

Up date I have all most finished my layout table I'll post a pic when its done.

MrMoose

Bucksco

jward

that;s a good sturdy foundation. you will never regret building a sturdy framework, building too light on the other hand will cause you no end of frustration.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MrMoose

Thanks guys.

I plan on putting down a sheet of insulation on top of the plywood so I can carve out a stream or and a lake.

What would you Guys do next...start buying more track, or start wiring just the Buss line for now...etc, etc.

Any input would be great.

Doneldon

Mr M-

That looks like a solid base for your layout. I endorse your plan to add insulation board. That makes for a versatile
ground level and it permits you to model below your tracks -- culverts, water features and the like. The one thing I'd add
to your structure is some diagonal bracing. That will help keep most of your cars on the tracks when someone bumps into the
table. An 18" or so piece of thin plywood would work fine for the ends with 1x2s or 1x3s on the sides.
                                                                                                                                                       -- D

MrMoose

Quote from: Doneldon on December 15, 2014, 05:26:17 PM
Mr M-

That looks like a solid base for your layout. I endorse your plan to add insulation board. That makes for a versatile
ground level and it permits you to model below your tracks -- culverts, water features and the like. The one thing I'd add
to your structure is some diagonal bracing. That will help keep most of your cars on the tracks when someone bumps into the
table. An 18" or so piece of thin plywood would work fine for the ends with 1x2s or 1x3s on the sides.
                                                                                                                                                       -- D

Thanks for the tip..I do plan on some bracing just haven't got that far.

MrMoose

Well I went and bought the Wiring to setup my bus around the table and got feeder wire for the track
and suitcase taps.

Have a question, What would be the best way to wire in the E-Z Command controller to the layout,

Straight to the bus line or cut and splice it to the bus and the e-z track terminal?

Saved1

The track layout you are going to make looks nice, with lots of thought and some careful planing you can do a lot with a 4x8 layout. looking forward to seeing more as you go alone :)

Have you considered running some 2x4x8 for the 8 foot section of the table for support? it might be a good idea to do that, it will make for a nice sturdy table alone the length.   

MrMoose

Yes I have just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Have a question, What would be the best way to wire in the E-Z Command controller to the layout,

Straight to the bus line or cut and splice it to the bus and the e-z track terminal?

Saved1

Quote from: MrMoose on December 16, 2014, 08:30:17 PM
Yes I have just haven't got around to doing it yet.

ah ok, that sounds good giving it some support will be a good thing in the long run.

as for the wiring i don't know the best way since everyone has their own way of how they like their wiring to be done, i can tell you how i did mine though lol i ran the track rail leads i added through suitcase connecters and then connected the two main lead wires to the power connecting wire that came with my E-Z track set, weather that's the right or wrong way of doing it i don't know lol all i know is it works for me.