News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's Big Hauler engine

Started by Chasp, December 21, 2014, 08:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasp

I got the Bachman's Big Hauler #90-0100-27 out of the attic in hopes to surprise the grandson. The train has been in the attic for 20 years. I put new batteries in it and it failed to run.  It had been stored with no batteries in it luckily. I noticed the bottom of the engine was damp with what appeared to be an oil. Does anyone have any ideas on what is needed to get this old timer going? Thanks.

Joe Satnik

Dear Chasp,

I can't recall if the RC Big Haulers had smoke units.

Does the box say it has a smoke unit? 

Did a bottle or small vial of smoke fluid come with the set?

If not, it's possible that gear grease melted and ran in the hot attic.

I would carefully take the bottom off the loco and look for broken wires, or corrosion in the battery compartment, including the door. 

Lube the gears and try to spin the motor by hand. 

Does the transmitter light up its pilot light?

Next step if it still doesn't work would be to replace all electrolytic caps on the receiver and transmitter boards.

A V.5 chassis would be a fairly cheap upgrade if you can't get your RC BH working.

Loco Bill or others,

Can a Version 5 track-power chassis be installed in an original RC Big Hauler?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Loco Bill Canelos

It is really not worth putting a V5 chassis under the old RC loco,  and the plastic track would have to be replaced as well.  Best to find a RC version on EBay if RC is important.

Try to make sure the batteries in both the loco and transmitter are definitely new.  I don't rememberr thje sequence, but I think the locomotive has to be turned on first, then the transmitter or it will not work right.

Do yu still have the instructions??  If so just go back over them step by step. 

WWorst case is that the plastic innards may have become warped in the heat of an attic,  I have seen it before.  If any part of the loco is heat warped that could be the problem. 

Hope you get it goin g!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!