News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newby with a DCC locomotive that won't run

Started by Wuddog, December 27, 2014, 07:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wuddog

Ok, my son is crazy about trains.  So for Christmas, we bought him an Athearn train set with a DC locomotive. We also bought him a Bachmann DCC steam engine with tender and a digitrax controller. For Christmas morning we just set up the Athearn loop with the DC controller that came with the set. It ran perfectly. So today I am trying to get the Bachmann DCC controlled train running. It's running on the same track as the Athearn. I'm sitting here looking at the DCC controller connected to the track with the Bachmann train sitting on the track. Initially the train would run but stall at the same two points on the track loop. But now the train will not run at all. All the sound functions still work, but the train will absolutely not run. As best I could tell, the little copper strips are in contact with the tender axles. 
If ANYONE can offer suggestions, I'm all ears. My kids coming home soon and is expecting this thing to be running.

ACY

Try adding feeder wires throughout

jward

what address are you trying to run? most dcc locomotives have a factory default address of 3.

can you run the dcc locomotive on dc power? or the dc locomotive on address 0 of the dcc controller?

hopefully, you did not have the dc controller and the dcc one connect4ed to the track at the same time.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Wuddog

Only one controller connected at a time. Using addy 03 for the DCC engine. The DCC train will run with the DC controller, but I must crank up the throttle to get it moving. I'm thinking it's a power issue as the stall point is the point on the track directly opposite the power point. I'm guessing that the sound takes a lot less power than the engine. Im a bit surprised since it's only about 7' of track total. I'm rigging up a new cable to run from my DCC controller to the track later tonite to see how that works. Am trying to pry the kid away from YouTube train videos now so he can go to bed.

jward

your dcc loco is acting normally on dc. the decoder needs about 5 volts just to get the locomotive moving on dc, which is almost half the arc of the control knob.

does the locomotive run all the way around the track on dc or does it stall out in the same spots as dcc? does the dc locomotive run on dcc address 0?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Wuddog

When the DCC loco runs on DC, it makes it around the track but it slows down on the straight stretch opposite the power connection. The DC loco runs on addy "0" through the DCC controller, but there seems to be quite a bit of noise. The DC loco doesn't have sound so the nouse is just motor nouse I guess. I'm surprised the DCC controller didn't come with a connection cable. I'm thinking there just isn't enough juice getting to the track.

jward

your dc locomotive on dcc will make a lot of noise, usually a high pitched singing sound when stopped that fades away at higher speeds. that is normal, and one reason to not run dc on dcc any more than you need to. but that test tells me that both your locomotives and controllers are operating normally.

what it sounds like you have are some rail joiners which are loose or otherwise providing poor electrical contact between track sections. if you are using ez track, your best bet would be to buy another rerailer and an extension cable use the cable s a jumper between the two rerailers. be aware that the plugs on the cables are bi-directional, and you will want to be sure that you have  the polarity correct before you plug in your digitrax controller. if the extention wire is plugged in the wrong way it will cause a dead short, and tri the controller's circuit breaker. if this happens, unplug the cable from the rerailer, flip it over and plug back in. that should cure the problem.

the ez track system uses a proprietary plug, most controllers do not have plug in wiring, but feature screw terminals you wrap the bare end of a wire around and tighten down. my digitrax unit (zephyr) has a different type of screw terminal where you insert the wires into holes and tighten screws down on top of them. most experienced model railroaders are familiar with these types of terminals, and solder their feeder wires directly to the rails rather than use terminal tracks like your rerailers. many of us also solder our rail joints as well, allowing a coupler of unsoldered joints for expansion.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Wuddog

I wanted to follow up and close this issue. Originally, I had rigged up a power cord using my plug/cord from my DC track and then twisting wires to the end of the "C" shaped connectors  and inserting them into the terminals on the SCC controller. Bad idea. I ended up going to radio shack and getting a couple of female clamp type wire connectors and clamping them on the male connection point on my track. I then ran proper wire to the controller and now all is good. Appreciate the help/input.