News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Figure 8 layout

Started by DougInCal, January 23, 2015, 01:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

The Bachmann 2-6-2 comes with a operating knuckle coupler, your rolling stock from the other set has Rapido style couplers most likely from your description, the 2-6-2 will include an older Rapido coupler though and you can change it out to use it with your other rolling stock very easily.

kmcsjr

EzMates will mate with any knuckle coupler. Here is a good start on the different types Of couples. The 2 main styles are Rapido and knuckle. Rapido only mates w rapido. All knuckle couplers will mate with rach other yo varying degrees. I would keep the train set you bought as is and going forward I'd focus on locos and cars with knuckle coulplers http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm

DougInCal

I believe I will use the flex track and DCC locos in the future, but retain the E-Z Track figure 8 as a stand alone center piece.  I should be able to come up with a design to integrate the two (not electrically, of course).  I don't want to throw away the money that I have spent, so far.

I may have mentioned that I have a couple of Bachmann HO sets that I increased to larger ovals, interleaved with a set of trestles, so that they would run parallel on the floor around my coffee table.  They are, when unpacked :), about 6' x 3'.  I stopped using them a few years ago because I had to constantly clean the track.  I have seen some advice to use denatured alcohol to clean the tracks, which I will try.

What are your thoughts about integrating both scales in one layout, as I continue with this hobby?  Will it look weird?

kmcsjr

Look wierd to who? Enjoy! As to constantly cleaning track, it is more likely a function of the pickup characteristics of your specific HO locos than the track. I have locos that will run through anything and locos that find every patch of dirt. For the amount of track you are planning, so far, wiping it down with 91% alcohol from the drug stire will be quick and easy

DougInCal

I received my E-Z Track 30 deg crossover, but the piece seems too short, to allow two pieces of track on each side.  What am I missing?

James in FL

QuoteI received my E-Z Track 30 deg crossover, but the piece seems too short, to allow two pieces of track on each side.  What am I missing?

You are missing the trigonometry.
Get your calculator (it's on your PC).

The four straight legs are each "radius times the tangent of half the crossing degrees, minus half the crossing length".
Strleg = r x [tan (xdeg/2)] - xlength/2. (4x)
Connect straight sections together to get as close as possible to Srtleg result.

DougInCal

Let me restate this question.  When I try to connect two tracks to each side of the crossover there isn't space for both connections.  The railroad bed would have to be cut away.

Here is piece from the Bachmann site:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=2786

James in FL

Yes, you will have to cut the roadbed corners at an angle to fit, to butt flush against the crossing.

GRASHLEY

Before you order the Prarie 2-6-2, read the thread on Page 2 called  PRARIE 2-6-2 ON A GRADE.  I had problems with mine, and this WONDERFUL group offered many excellent suggestions.  First, save a little money and get tho 0-6-0.  It is the same loco without the leading and trailing trucks, which are unnecessary trouble.  Second, keep the grade to 2%.  It is very important!  2% grade means 2 inch rise over a 100 inch run.
Gordon

DougInCal

Seems like it has been longer than a month since I started this thread, but thanks for all of your help, folks.

I received the 30 deg crossover, but had to order a saw/blade combo from Micro-Mark to do the surgery on the short tracks.  I just did the trimming and the cuts were not too bad.  I used two 1 1/2" and two 1" sections.   

The tech at Bachmann suggested gluing/epoxying the pieces to the crossover.

Both loops use 11 7.25" curved tracks.

However, the cars derail on the crossover.  The diesel handles it okay, although it still sounds like a bumpy ride.  It seems like the "re-railer" guides on the crossover may be causing this problem.

Has anyone had this problem with the 30 deg crossover?   

DougInCal

I just thought to try running the train the in opposite direction, and it doesn't have the derailing problem.  Curious!  But at least I can enjoy the fruits of my labor and expenses.

I thought to add that I am using one 1 1/2" and one 1" piece on each side of the 30 deg crossover.  However, I was too intent on the cutting and the two similar sized pieces are in line with each other.  Doesn't seem to be a problem, but wish I hadn't done that.  Maybe I will hold off on the gluing for awhile. 

kmcsjr

In general, for derailments, the solution is run the train as slowly as you can, and watch. Also, take the figure 8 apart and build a straight track in the direction of the derailment. What happens? it might give you an idea.

Len

If it derails in one direction, but not the other, check for flash or other junk between the guardrail and stock rail. Also make sure the rail joiners on the side it derails from are actually on both rails, and not sliding under one of them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

DougInCal

Quote from: kmcsjr on February 22, 2015, 07:05:18 AM
Also, take the figure 8 apart and build a straight track in the direction of the derailment. What happens? it might give you an idea.
Are you suggesting creating a small oval with the crossover as part of the straight track?

I have been looking at the guardrails and they seem to be clean.

I learned the hard way to check the joint with my finger to ensure that the connection is correct.

I purchased a rug to put on the top of the plastic table, which really reduces the running noise.

DougInCal

I isolated the crossover in an oval and found that the track is good in one direction and fails in the opposite direction, for both combinations.  I numbered the opposite sides, such that "3 to 1" is okay, but "1 to 3" fails; "2 to 4" is okay, but "4 to 2" fails.

I have looked at the crossover closely and cannot see any problems.  At least I found that the short connectors weren't the problem.

Recreated the fig 8 and still have the problem in one direction.