A few questions concerning DCC and 2 rail O scale

Started by ACY, January 31, 2015, 02:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

I was wondering if a Dynamis system output the correct voltage for 2 rail O scale operation and if it had sufficient Amps to run 1 or 2 O scale (2-rail) engines or would I need to hook up my Dynamis to my 5 Amp booster?
I wanted to look into programming a friend's 2 rail O scale locomotive for him since it has DCC and sound.

AGSB

Len

The Dynamis should be okay if all you're doing is programing the decoders. I would add the booster if you want to actually operate 'O' locos though. Jus the weight of the trains they pull is going to bring the amps pulled up near it's max limit without the booster. And you don't want to operate in that region very long, or damage could result.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Quote from: AGSB on January 31, 2015, 09:27:44 AM
The Dynamis puts out 15.5V +/_5% at 2.3Amps.
I knew this already. I just didn't know how many Amps a typical 2 rail O scale locomotive with DCC and sound draws and what Voltage it should be operated at.

AGSB

Quote from: ACY on January 31, 2015, 11:07:01 AM
Quote from: AGSB on January 31, 2015, 09:27:44 AM
The Dynamis puts out 15.5V +/_5% at 2.3Amps.
I knew this already. I just didn't know how many Amps a typical 2 rail O scale locomotive with DCC and sound draws and what Voltage it should be operated at.

That has nothing to do with the Dynamis. Check the specs for whatever engines you are planing to operate. Add them together and see if they fall within the Dynamis output.

ACY

Quote from: AGSB on January 31, 2015, 11:31:29 AM
That has nothing to do with the Dynamis. Check the specs for whatever engines you are planing to operate. Add them together and see if they fall within the Dynamis output.
There are no specifications for this engine since it was originally DC but was converted to DCC and sound. I know how many amps it drew before it was converted to DCC and sound but I have no idea what it will draw post conversion and I have no way to find out first. And there is no mention anywhere in the documentation included with the locomotive of how many volts the locomotive should be operated at. The decoder in this locomotive is not dual mode, thus will not run and cannot be tested with an analog controller.
I know what the Dynamis specifications are, if you don't have experience with newer 2-rail O scale engines with DCC then there was no need to reply really since you couldn't tell me anything I didn't know already.

AGSB

Don't get snotty with me.
How do expect an answer when you don't give all the information in the first place?

charon

Mesquite Short Line

rogertra

Don't know what current this loco will draw?

Neither do we until you tell us what the make and model is but then if you know that you can just Google it.  Adding DCC doesn't change its power draw, unless you've changed the motor and if you have, just Google the motor and that will give you all the info you need.

Really a no brainer.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

DCC systems generally put somewhere around a constant 12 volts on the track, sometimes a bit more on systems designed specifically for larger scale use. The locos speed is controlled by the voltage passed to it by the decoder, not the track voltage.

If these are die-cast steam locos, the current draw is probably in the 0.5 - 0.75 amp range with no train behind the loco. Add a train and it goes up. That's why I suggested using the booster when actually running trains.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on January 31, 2015, 12:54:34 PM
Don't know what current this loco will draw?
Neither do we until you tell us what the make and model is but then if you know that you can just Google it.  Adding DCC doesn't change its power draw, unless you've changed the motor and if you have, just Google the motor and that will give you all the info you need.
Quote from: AGSB on January 31, 2015, 12:42:37 PM
How do expect an answer when you don't give all the information in the first place?
I gave you all the information I have, my friend received a 2-rail O locomotive that had the motor replaced and had DCC and sound added. I don't know any details about the motor and only know the decoder is not dual mode. The locomotive was a gift for my friend and apparently the person who gave it to him didn't know anything more when he asked him, as he had another friend work on the locomotive. 

I can give you the information on the box but that does not do any good since the locomotive is no longer what is indicated on the box. I just wanted to know typical values for 2-rail O scale locomotives with DCC and sound. And I have no intentions to attempt to check what motor or decoder is in the locomotive since it is brass and was worth over a thousand dollars before it was custom painted and detailed, not to mention the new motor and DCC/sound. And as far as looking up other similar locomotives with factory DCC and sound, there aren't any, I checked. There isn't much info on 2 rail O scale DCC operation specifically, when you look up O scale you get info mainly on Analog, DCS, or TMCC/Legacy.

Len has given me most of the information I need. Thank you very much for your assistance.

rogertra

You mean the manufacturer's name is nowhere on the locomotive?

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on January 31, 2015, 01:40:46 PM
You mean the manufacturer's name is nowhere on the locomotive?
The box had no writing other than a label on one side of the box that reads "EM-1 2-8-8-4", the documentation included was one sheet of paper that is no longer legible except for a few small excerpts. The bottom of the locomotive has no visible identification markings. All I know is that it is brass and is probably from the 1950's or thereabouts. I am pretty sure the locomotive also has 2 motors.

rogertra

That was easy to find, it's amazing what you can find if you type into Google "brass EM-1 2-8-8-4"

Give it a try.

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on January 31, 2015, 05:28:28 PM
That was easy to find, it's amazing what you can find if you type into Google "brass EM-1 2-8-8-4"
I googled it too but could not figure out the manufacturer of the locomotive nor any of the other information I was seeking since all relevant components are not original. Does this make sense to you Roger?  I could not even find hardly anything on older 2 rail O brass EM-1's probably because they were not very common similar to how my club owns several Lionel 2 rail O locomotives that are one or two of a kind that were special made for the club.
If the motors were replaced with some more modern motors which the manufacturer of which is unknown,  then what good does it do me to know who made it or what type of locomotive it is anyways?