Measuring With HO scale ruler

Started by TigerMaster, February 04, 2015, 05:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerMaster

With my HO scale ruler if I want a building to be 40 feet in HO scale feet, do I mark my piece of wood at the 40 mark? Thus making my building 40 HO scale feet long.
-TigerMaster-

ebtnut

In answer to your question, yes, where the scale ruler says 40, it is 40 scale feet.  One caution, though.  Some scale rules I have seen have one scale foot at the very edge of the scale marked with 3 scale inch increments, and that is followed by the actual zero point to begin your measurements. 

TigerMaster

Cool Thank you. Mine does have the numbers mention at the end. So I make sure I line the edge of the wood at the "0" mark.

-TigerMaster-

ebtnut

TigerMaster

Okay so when i make tables for my saloon that are 3 scale feet high, why are they taller than HO scale figures?
-TigerMaster-

Joe Satnik

Wrong scale ruler?

3 scale feet in HO is around 7/16", or about 10mm. 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

TigerMaster

I am using a HO scale ruler. I made the table legs 3 scale feet long. I am not sure what is going wrong.
-TigerMaster-

Hunt

Quote from: TigerMaster on February 04, 2015, 07:19:57 PM
I am using a HO scale ruler. I made the table legs 3 scale feet long. I am not sure what is going wrong.
You do not have true to scale HO figures is the most likely what is going wrong.

What is the height of the figure(s) you are using for comparison? 

TigerMaster

6ft
I purchased them from Walthers. ( I do not remember the brand)
I also bought chairs for Walthers (I do not remember the brand) and the chairs are very small. And a standing figure the table goes up to about the chest.
-TigerMaster-

Hunt

6 ft is common for upright standing HO  figure. The height to top of a dining room type table will be around 30 inches.  Your table legs are too long.

TigerMaster

Okay I will shorten them. Thank you
-TigerMaster-