News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why is it hard to find HO Semaphores?

Started by TigerMaster, February 04, 2015, 10:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerMaster

Does anyone know why NJ International and Tomar Industries not have any HO upper quadrant semaphore, with no dates of their expected return?

And why are Bachmann 4-4-0 Steam Locomotives so high priced, I purchased one several years ago for under $100 from a local hobby shop?
-TigerMaster-

rogertra

Quote from: TigerMaster on February 04, 2015, 10:08:00 PM
Does anyone know why NJ International and Tomar Industries not have any HO upper quadrant semaphore, with no dates of their expected return?

And why are Bachmann 4-4-0 Steam Locomotives so high priced, I purchased one several years ago for under $100 from a local hobby shop?

How can we answer that question regarding semaphores?  Go ask the manufacturers.  :)

And why are the 4-4-0 more expensive now than when you bought yours?  For the same reason most things are now more expensive than when you purchased your first 4-4-0.  These days they probably come either DCC ready or or DCC equipped or even with DCC and sound.

Most things go up in price, except gas and computers.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

TigerMaster

Well I thought maybe someone could have heard something. The manufactures are not saying.

Yeah I figure it is inflation on the 4-4-0's
-TigerMaster-

electrical whiz kid

Tiger Master;
NJ International is not the only manufacturer of signaling systems.  Go on line and start to do some research regarding this; then you can impart this info to the rest of us as well.
Another approach is to scratch build semaphores.  While looking as daunting as the school yard bully, there have, over the years, been a lot of articles regarding construction of said semaphore.
As well, I would be at least passively curious as to how you have become known as "Tiger master"...  (Perhaps you read 'Gunga Din" (Kipling)...
And Roger T;
Do you by chance, work for Bachmann?
SGT C.

Len

Tomar Industries has a number of semaphore signals in stock at Walthers. Walthers Mfg ID: 81

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bapguy

Try this place:   https://www.logicrailtech.com/
They carry Tomar semaphores and control circuits for them. I bought from them several times and had no problems. Their freight charges are reasonable . I have my orders sent priority mail( 2 to 3 days). Click on products, signal then Tomar.   JOe

TigerMaster

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 05, 2015, 08:01:12 AM

Tiger Master;
NJ International is not the only manufacturer of signaling systems.  Go on line and start to do some research regarding this; then you can impart this info to the rest of us as well.
Another approach is to scratch build semaphores.  While looking as daunting as the school yard bully, there have, over the years, been a lot of articles regarding construction of said semaphore.
As well, I would be at least passively curious as to how you have become known as "Tiger master"...  (Perhaps you read 'Gunga Din" (Kipling)...
And Roger T;
Do you by chance, work for Bachmann?
SGT C.

Thank you for the info. I will do some research and maybe scratchbuild one.
I came up with Tiger Master myself. I love tigers.
-TigerMaster-

TigerMaster

Quote from: bapguy on February 05, 2015, 01:31:14 PM
Try this place:   https://www.logicrailtech.com/
They carry Tomar semaphores and control circuits for them. I bought from them several times and had no problems. Their freight charges are reasonable . I have my orders sent priority mail( 2 to 3 days). Click on products, signal then Tomar.   JOe

I will check them out thank you
-TigerMaster-

electrical whiz kid

Tiger;
Yeah, there are some pretty good articles that have been written, but you will have to do a little digging to find them.  To me, the best approach is to do this, and then do a "scrounge-a-thon" for parts.  In doing this, I would go a grade or two up to real craftsman-type sites and glean from them.  Best of luck to you.  Oh, and yep-tigers are cool.  My son is a tanker by MOS, and he got into studying about tigers-hunting, king, etc.  He calls them "Rommel's Rolls-Royces".
SGT  C   

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Actually, Jim;
I have firsthand seen enough of that crap to have destroyed any interest I have in tanks, guns, etc.  I have an RA-16 for self-protection-but that is IT!  My son has done twenty years, is getting out this summer-and I couldn't be happier-or prouder  He had the reputation as a task-master and a top-notch tank commander.  As far as tanks, nope.  I am just as happy with steamers (yeah-both types),, a daily Manhatten, and living well.

Your Friend;
Rich
SGT. C)

To go on here;
I am curious is there is any formulae for the transition from level to grade.  Most of my stuff consists of pre-WWll prototype; cars and locomotives.  I have in the past, been using the "two feet per one hundred" rule, but that can get a little gaumy and clumsy in the wrong places.
Thank you for feedback!
SGT.C

electrical whiz kid

Errata:
I made what may be a miss-steak!
What I meant to say is the transitional formulae for the point at which a level grade starts it's incline.
Thanks.
SGT C. 

jbrock27

Proud as well you should be Rich! And I certainly understand your sentiments given your experience in Nam.  I would offer that those who fail to understand or consider history are doomed to repeat it and at the very least, do not learn from it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim; the offer would fall upon deaf ears; as history is getting to be a dead subject.  More's the pity.
Back to the subject:   I would like to know if an tangential approach with a series of "a to b" plotting, would work.  My concern on this layout is that I would like as smooth a transition from level to incline as I can get while still being practical.  I don't-nor do I desire-really large locomotives-the largest wheel-base I will run is a 2-6-6-2; Bachmann.  I am toying with the ideal of doing a fairly good height difference, so  I can do this in an uncomplicated a manner possible, while not compromising the tracking/loco performance.
SGT  C.