Connecting a track bus to an EZ Command Controller

Started by C Green, February 06, 2015, 08:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C Green

I'm working on my first layout and am soldering feeder wires to several sections of track as I've seen is recommended.  I will connect the feeder wires to a bus but wonder how to connect the bus to the EZ Command Controller.  I could use the cord that came with a train set but I had wanted to use a longer and heavier gauge wire.  I tried to use an audio plug from Radio Shack but ended up with a short, either because of my work or because the plug wasn't compatible.  Help!

Len

The red cords with the flat connector on one end and mini-phone plug on the other are wired to the Ring and Sleeve of the mini-plug. The Tip connection is not used.

You want your wires connected to the blue and black connectors in the diagram. The red connector is left open.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

C Green

Thanks, Len. The plug I used doesn't have the third red part so I suspect it isn't compatible with the controller.  The plug also appears to only have two divisions, not three. Do you know where I could find an appropriate plug?

Len

Several dozen places on line carry them. Locally, if your local Radio Shack is still open, you should be able to find them there. If not, a decent music store that sells microphones, etc., should have them. Or even a computer store that sells sound cards should have them. Worst case, pick up a $5 set of ear-buds and cut the cord off.

And yes, if you used a tip/sleeve only plug that was the problem. The sleeve was shorting the ring and sleeve contact in the jack you plugged into together.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Desertdweller

I found out yesterday that the Radio Shack chain was going bankrupt.  That will be a real blow to us model railroaders :'(.  I use a lot of their components on my DC model railroad.

Les

Desertdweller

I found out yesterday that the Radio Shack chain was going bankrupt.  That will be a real blow to us model railroaders :'(.  I use a lot of their components on my DC model railroad.

Les

mrmel0

So, you just can't tap in to the wires between the audio plug and the flat plug?