News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to N

Started by Iron Horse, October 26, 2007, 04:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Horse

Hi all, this is my first posting to this fantastic forum. I will start by telling you that I have model in HO & O. Mainly Steam era stuff that is the main reason I have stayed away from N Until now, the new steam era stuff they have out now is awesome. I have been lurking around the forum for a while getting all the good info that everyone posts and trying to decide if I want to try N. Well finally, I have decided to take the plunge and build my first layout on a hollow core door please look at Dave Vollmer’s web site the Pennsylvania Middle Division @ http://kc.pennsyrr.com/layouts/dvollmer/  that layout was my inspiration to dive into N scale. I will be building a freelanced Norfolk & Western Steam era layout. Oh yeah my to favorite railroads are the AT&SF and the N&W with all the rest being a close 2nd . I will be posting pictures of my plans and asking a lot of advice before I ever get started.  My plans are to use Atlas code 80 flex with #6 turnouts and eventually to use DCC. Anyway I wanted to say hi and thank everyone in advance for their help in my new adventure

Iron Horse

Simon Greasly

Well welcome iron horse to the wonderful world of n scale i think you will find it to be worth giving a shot.
If you're into modeling AT&SF you've come to the right place and in terms of steam era you should know that Con-Cor is to dat ethe only company offering up an N scale version of the famous Blue Goose Streamliner. Hope this helps and good luck with you're layout.

Simon
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

GlennW

Welcome to the Forum, Iron horse. For N&W fans, you came to the right place. Bachmann makes a fine J class Northern. We need Bachmann to make some heavyweight cars for the J to pull. You may find other steamers for other N&W or ATSF classes.

One way to mix the 2 togeter may be to do a post-merger Dearborn Station when N&W took over the former Wabash passenger service. Then you could model a Banner Blue next to the Super Chief. It may have been the 1980's when the J last made it's fantrip runs on different Chicago lines.  I wish you could have seen the fleamarket crowd stop when the J went by.

bigjay7691

Welcome Iron Horse ! 

I'm new to N as well. Building on 3' x 6'.  Steam transition to Diesel era.  I'm a big fan of Santa Fe as well, as I have picked them as my main line hauler, in addition to my local engines ( as yet unlabeled ) hauling coal gondolas from the mine.

Jay