The Ames' "Super Socket": A BAD decision for Bachmann!!

Started by Steve Stockham, October 27, 2007, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry BBT

I have to speak for the groups I think I serve, my customers.

Frankly, I don't care what Stanley Ames does in this regard (also a BBT customer).  But I am concerned about the response/action a manufacturer does in response to nmra "requirements".

Consider a Newby coming into the hobby and discovering he can't just run a train like he did as a kid without grand electronic gadgetry increasing his purchase price. 

Or a long time large scale modeler who use track power (or R/C) and wants to add to his motive power.  If everything is produced "DCC-ready" or even more, then the price is going to go up.

Might this price increase preclude the entry of a new hobbyist into large scale?  I don't know, but if there is enough of this "ready for", it can't help but increase prices. 

What is the cost/retail price result of a 60 pin plug?  Including the labor costs?

Several have noted "we'll just rip it out".  Great and easy, but really we don't want it there in the first place.  Alternatively, make a DCC kit with the super plug(s) and instructions for those who want such an animal.

I receive quite a few 10th Anniversary locomotives, equipped with the "politically correct" LS/NMRA switch.  In my conversion, I gain a few feet of wire and a dpdt switch.  But everything is simpler, and only what is needed is there.

That's it for now.  This is my KISS method to solve this problem.  Let NMRA do what they wish, but exert our influence with our manufacturers who are the only ones who can mess up our world.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Barry BBT

One further subject: now they're messing with track and wheel specs.

I am not aware of any reason these topics need to be addressed.  We've been operating with 45mm track and various appropriate wheels profiles with 1.575" b-t-b, very successfully.   

Now they want to change all this??  For what reason?  All I can think of is to put the nmra name stamp on it.  Thereby showing their 'contribution'.

Bunk!  Long live G1MRA!

Barry - BBT

There are no dumb questions.

Cascade Northern

That is completely pointless.  Then again, they do want either showing their "contirbution" (like you said) or money!!!

Here is what I can see:
Showing contirbution - NMRA
Money - Ames