News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parking

Started by Trackman Ed, February 12, 2015, 09:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trackman Ed

I have echo valley and thunder chief trains, I added a 5th rolling stock to each set.  I've got my lay out pretty much set.  I am able to operate both trains at the same time, they work great.  I would like to be able to park one on a straight dead end turn out.  What is the best way to turn off the track when I park the train?  I don't want the train to sit and idle for a long time.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm really enjoying this new found hobby.  Getting a little nervous about land scaping, but I'll cross that bridge soon.  Every railroader have a great day.

AGSB

Gap one rail at the beginning of the siding, insert an insulated rail joiner, solder drop feeders to the rail each side of the gap and terminate at a simple on/off switch. Turn switch to the on position and drive the engine/train onto the siding then turn the switch to the off position and the siding is now dead electircally.

Trackman Ed

Thank you for the information, very helpful.

kdgrant6

Hi,

I bought the Echo Valley set, too.  

As to your problem. it is due to both locomotives being programmed for number 3 on your EZ Command controller.  You need to program one of the engines for another number.  Then you can control them differently.

As for landscaping, go to Woodland Scenics and watch their tutorial videos.  They are absolutely wonderful.

Just interested why you bought the two sets?  After receiving the Echo Valley, I wanted to expand.  I called Bachmann about purchasing the Thunder Chief.  They suggested I buy another DCC sound locomotive and rolling stock of my choice and whatever extra track I wanted.  They said that neither the extra EZ Command controller nor the transformer could be used, except as backups.  So that's what I did.

kdgrant6

I think AGSB's reply pertains to DC rather than the DCC system you have.  As a newbie myself, I certainly could be wrong.
!

bapguy

The insulated gap will work for either system. With DCC you have power to the track at all times the system is on. The decoder is what makes having multiple locos going at different speeds and directions possible. Each decoder gets it's own address. That way the address chosen by the DCC system will only run that loco. If all the locos have the same address, they will all move at once.    Joe

kdgrant6

Is the insulated gap needed?  Just wondering. 

jbrock27

Using either an insulated rail joiner (Code 100 for EZ track) or physically cutting a gap in a rail with a cutting disc tool like a Dremel, will accomplish the same thing Ken.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

Trackman Ed is running DCC only, I assume. Is a gap or an insulated joiner even needed?  Just wondering.

jbrock27

If you wish to be able to disconnect power to a particular section of track, incorporating the above said switch, yes.
Keep Calm and Carry On

AGSB

Quote from: kdgrant6 on February 12, 2015, 12:22:45 PM
Trackman Ed is running DCC only, I assume. Is a gap or an insulated joiner even needed?  Just wondering.

Doesn't matter if it's DC or DCC, if you want to isolate the section of track you need the gap and switch. Using an insulated rail joiner is, technically, not required but is a best practice. Changes in temp could cause expansion in the track and close the gap if the joiner is not there.

DCC engines are always powered, even if not selected by the controller. They are sitting, waiting for a command from the controller to the decoder to do something. This eats away at power available to other engines running on the layout, specially if they are sound equipped.

Len

If cutting a gap in existing track with a cut off disk, you can glue a small piece of styrene in the gap to keep the rails from touching. Shape to the rail profile with a jewelers file or emery board.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

decoder equipped locomotives draw current even when not in use, unless on an isolated track. the basic ez command system only puts out 1 amp which isn't much power at all. I would gap the rail and turn off power to that track when I want to park a locomotive.

as a matter of fact, my whole layout is wired this way. I can and do isolate tracks when I park my locomotives. even though my dcc system has a much higher current rating than the ez command, I would rather not load down my system with unused locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

guslcp

Quote from: AGSB on February 12, 2015, 01:05:01 PM

Doesn't matter if it's DC or DCC, if you want to isolate the section of track you need the gap and switch. Using an insulated rail joiner is, technically, not required but is a best practice. Changes in temp could cause expansion in the track and close the gap if the joiner is not there.

DCC engines are always powered, even if not selected by the controller. They are sitting, waiting for a command from the controller to the decoder to do something. This eats away at power available to other engines running on the layout, specially if they are sound equipped.

I agree...All my storage tracks, whether dedicated for engines only (roundhouse), or common yard or sidings, are able to be turned off.  No sense in having engines sitting idly and being powered for long periods of time.

Gus.

Len

Even with DCC, having a layout wired for blocks that can be turned On/Off makes isolating electrical problems a lot easier.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.