News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Soundvalue cv lock and unlock feature

Started by ALCO0001, February 18, 2015, 10:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO0001

Hello,
I have a Heritage sd70 ace and have added a tcs lighting decoder for ditch light operation all is working fine except the soundtraxx cv lock and

unlock feature designed for dual decoder installs so cvs will not be overwritten to the 2nd decoder.The Tsumani manual states that in order for this

feature to work cv30 bit 1 must be set to 1 .well they could of just stated set cv 30 to a value of 2 witch sets bit 1 to 1 .Good thing the Dynamis

shows the bits wile programing .Nice !Anyhow after setting this and setting cv 16 to 7 leaving cv 30 alone I tried to reprogram it to test wile locked

and the lock did not work .So I tried it again,but I programed cv 30 back to zero since they do not instruct this part either way .Bad in my opinion.But

Anyway tried it again and well It does not Work! .So now in order to program both at the same address I POWER 1 DECODER WITH 1 TRUCK AND THE OTHER WITH THE OTHER isolating the wheels each time I DO THIS it works ,but am I MISSING SOMETHING ,OR does this soundvalue decoder not have the lock feature that the list says it has?
???Jack

Hunt

Jack,
I have not verified if the decoder Lock feature is supported by Sound Value decoder, I would be very surprised if the feature is not. However, I will check when I get a chance.

Let's assume the Lock feature  is supported.
Some basics –

. . . the soundtraxx cv lock and  unlock feature designed for dual decoder installs so cvs will not be overwritten to the 2nd decoder. . . .

Decoder lock feature only prevents the CVs in a locked decoder from being changed during programming.

. . . The Tsumani manual states that in order for this  feature to work cv30 bit 1 must be set to 1 .well they could of just stated set cv 30 to a value of 2 witch sets bit 1 to 1 . . . .

To use the CV Lock feature implemented in CV 15 and 16, Bit 0 of CV 30 must first be set to 1 (the default bit value is 0).

Programming CV 30 to a value of 2 sets CV 30 Bit 1 to 1 and all other CV 30 bits to 0

Programming a value of 2 to CV 30 activates a reset to factory default value of all CVs. In other works, it does the same thing as programming 8 to CV 8.

Most DCC features require a specific sequence to successfully use the feature.

The Sound Value decoder must be LOCKED before the light function decoder installed or Lock feature will not work as intended.

To start
Factory default is decoder unlocked since 
      CV 30 = 0
      CV 15 = 0
      CV 16 = 0

To lock Sound Value decoder
1) Program CV 30 to a value of 1  - This enables the Lock feature, which uses CV 16 and CV 15
2) Program CV 16 Lock Code to 1 or any valid value (only a value of 0 – 7 is valid)
Decoder is now locked. Because CV 15 = 0

To unlock
Program CV 15 Unlock Code to 1
  The decoder is unlocked when the value in CV 15 matches the value in CV 16

To relock the decoder
Program CV 15 to a different value (valid value 0 - 255) than what is in CV 16.

Hunt

BTW-
Programming CV 30 to a value of 1 sets CV 30 Bit 0 to 1 and all other CV 30 Bits to 0

(Not all DCC systems have the capability to program a CV at its Bit level. )

ALCO0001

Got it! Thanks a lot ,had the bit thing / cv value misinterpreted in cv 30.

Tsumani needs to quit wasting ink  as they describe bits in certain areas when all they have to do is give you the cv value as an example.They cut

corners this way not hiring a go between that actually speaks in natural language rather then computer binary language.IT is like press 1 for

English.They have the ability to conform the machines to the people and try to conform the people to the machines.There is something very wrong there ,and well this is a G forum and like that binary thing some like to conform.Others >:(!
Jack

Hunt

Jack, study CV 30 in the Diesel Tech Reference. Recognize that CV 30 like CV 29 is a multipurpose CV. You will realize from the following SoundTraxx did not waste ink with the instruction to set CV 30 Bit 0 to 1 to enable Lock feature.

CV 30 = 4 (not CV 30 = 0) is the default value in some (if not all) Bachmann Spectrum sound equipped locomotives.

The CV 30 = 4 effect is function assignments for F5-F8 are automatically swapped with the function assignments for F9-F12. Thus to use the Lock feature with any decoder where CV 30 = 4 you must program CV 30 = 5 to enable the lock feature using CV 15 and CV 16 and keep the function swap feature enabled.

BTW, Note -- the factory default is CV 30 = 4 for the Sound Value HO Bachmann Sound Value GG1
Today there are some errors in the Configuration Variable Defaults list for the Sound Value decoder equipped GG1; however, CV 30 = 4 is correct.

Learn how to compute the value of any CV and what it does or you are likely to unknowingly change something.  With some assistance and useful focus, this DCC stuff will all fall in place and the confusion will evaporate.

Len

Quote from: Hunt on February 20, 2015, 01:22:36 AM
The CV 30 = 4 effect is function assignments for F5-F8 are automatically swapped with the function assignments for F9-F12. Thus to use the Lock feature with any decoder where CV 30 = 4 you must program CV 30 = 5 to enable the lock feature using CV 15 and CV 16 and keep the function swap feature enabled.

Why doesn't the manual just say this, rather than getting into 1's and 0's?

QuoteLearn how to compute the value of any CV and what it does or you are likely to unknowingly change something.  With some assistance and useful focus, this DCC stuff will all fall in place and the confusion will evaporate.

Having worked with a lot of IT people, I found they'd rather build a software project using C++ rather than Assembler.

And I find, for similar reasons, most people just want to know what intager to enter in a CV to get what they want, without getting down in the bit level 1's and 0's.

Which has a lot to do with why JMRI's software is so popular with people doing a lot of DCC programing. And why a certain decoder manufacturer's instruction booklet, written for the average MRR hobbiest,  is generally thought better of than a competitors that seems intended for DCC engineers.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: Len on February 20, 2015, 08:48:37 AM
Quote from: Hunt on February 20, 2015, 01:22:36 AM

Why doesn't the manual just say this, rather than getting into 1's and 0's?

. . .

Len,
It saves ink!   ;)

This time, quicker to learn how to use - set CV 30 Bit 0 to 1 to enable Lock feature - than learn how to use JMRI Decoder Pro and possibly have to purchase a DCC system compatible with it. Remember some of Bachmann's DCC systems do not have PC interface.

Len

I just mention JMRI to point out many people use it to avoid bit level entanglments, not to suggest it's use with any particular system. Believe me, I'm very aware of the lack of PC interface on some DCC systems.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ALCO0001

Ya I use the Dynamis and it is a good thing that it will show you the bits displayed so if you throw out a few numbers at it without going through the

complete programing cycle you can find the correct cv number as long as you pay attention to your bits 0 through 7 and know what they should be in

it's place.The system has been good for a few years now ,No pc interface ,but a few mirrors on the walls and ceiling stops the infa red connection

from losing connection and has plenty of power without a booster to run a few dcc sound equipped whatever at the same time.Maybe later upgrade when or if the prices on there accessories drops for being the old system .