News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Possible new engine?

Started by Royce Wilson, February 23, 2015, 09:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Bachmann is there anyway to add another driver to the OF 4-4-0 On30 to make a small 2-6-0? this would make a great small Porter mogul to pull those short freight cars.
And while you are at it how about a four wheel caboose? these were very pouplar in the east.

Royce

ebtnut

Royce:  Frankly, your (our) best hope is that Bachmann will upgrade the current Mogul with DCC and sound. 

Royce Wilson

How about Bachmann taking the mogul and offering two versions,one high grade with DCC with sound and synchronized smoke and still offer the the original mogul as a low cost entry model to On30.

Royce

ebtnut

Royce Wilson

Wasn't there an article somewhere about the D&RG studing the purchase of one of these?

But to throw the issue way off course how about a  four wheel caboose using the body of the present eight wheel caboose?.

Royce

Royce Wilson

I guess there is no intrest in anything new? :o

Royce

Ken Clark

Royce

My wish list <G>.

Baldwin OF 2-8-2  25 built for Argentina  Esquel line  2Ft 6In

Lima  2 Truck 40T SHAY
   Lima  3 Truck 60T SHAY

10  40Ton and 6 60Ton operated by Braden Copper Co  Chile 2Ft 6In Gauge
       One of each on Display still.

Diesel   Baldwin-Whitcomb  60Ton  built for Braden Copper Co to replace the Shay locomotives.

Ken Clark
       GWN

traingeek

Hi Ken,  The Argentinian Baldwins have that classic American look and would be a good choice for the Bachmann.  They only run for charters now, with the exception of a 16 kilometer stretch out of Esquel.  I went on a trip with Bernd Seiler, who runs a very pro operation.  Here is a link to some of my photos.   Dave

https://www.flickr.com/photos/104438411@N02/

Ken Clark

Dave

Great photos of the Esquel operation, missed out twice on making a tour trip, maybe third time lucky. Working on a couple of their boxcars for my layout. have modelled a bridge and
a tank car, working on one of  Henschel 2-8-2's which operates there.

Also a couple of videos on the line.

Ken

Royce Wilson

Mr.Bachmann,I am going to beg one more time for a engine.Please take a look at the July/Aug 2014 Gazette and there is a drawing of a 0-4-2T Locomotive Baldwin Fairymead Sugar Co.,LTD and yes I know it is 2 foot but it is a great sugar cane plantation engine and would be a great addition to the new 18' freight cars and just think of future sugar cane cars!.

Royce

p51

Quote from: Royce Wilson on April 26, 2015, 09:06:16 AM
I guess there is no intrest in anything new? :o
Yeah, but what?
Bachmann has to make money, they're not a hobbyist looking at random photos and saying every now and then, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to make one of these?" That's no business plan, especially for a large production company like Bachmann.
That's why I'd be very shocked if they made a Garratt in On30. There'd be almost no market for something like that in the US.
Some of the locomotives that might do well in the US for narrow gauge prototypes could be:
-East Broad Top 2-8-2

-D&RGW K-27 or K-36 (FYI, this photo below was taken by me)

-The Sonoma

Or any other 19th century locomotive like that
-US Army S118 class 2-8-2. The White Pass had several of them and you can still find them scattered all over the world. I think this (along with the D&RGW ones) has the greatest potential for sales, considering how far flung these locomotives were. Several of them still operate today.
-I still think they should make one of their ten-wheelers as White Pass & Yukon #s 10 and 14 as all they'd have to do is do the right paint scheme. Former ET&WNC 10 and 14 went to the White Pass in 1942. Now, they were modified quite a bit before getting the WP&Y paint job, but it'd be so easy for Bachmann to offer that. Seeing how the WP is still in operation and thousands ride it each year (including myself, I've ridden one and am going back to ride it again very soon).
-Lee

Royce Wilson

For the last 10 years or so most of the On30 world has begged for a model of the the Baldwind Sonoma 4-4-0 and instead we got a 2 foot 4-4-0 with the reason of radius only to find out that the the On30 2-4-4-T has a radius problem. so I think engines are just made by special intrest groups afterall look at the original On30 frieght cars who would have thought of an OR&W prototype?

Royce

p51

Quote from: Royce Wilson on May 07, 2015, 02:02:45 PM
For the last 10 years or so most of the On30 world has begged for a model of the the Baldwind Sonoma 4-4-0 and instead we got a 2 foot 4-4-0 with the reason of radius only to find out that the the On30 2-4-4-T has a radius problem. so I think engines are just made by special intrest groups afterall look at the original On30 frieght cars who would have thought of an OR&W prototype?
Well, I know one of the VPs at Bachmann is a big Tweetsie fan, which is why they've made the 4-6-0 for that road in both G and On30. Frankly, I'm thankful for that but at least that engine can be modified into a lot of other stuff with general ease.
The 4-4-0, to me, looks exactly like a HO scale engine with a few O scale details added to it.
Strange enough, they make the 'pretty 1800s loco' in G scale...
As for the freight cars, yeah, some of that stuff sure is odd. The boxcars, especially are designed differently from just about any boxcar you'd find on a 3-footer back in the day.
I'm also utterly baffled as to why they don't offer any rolling stock in ET&WNC markings when they offer 4 versions of the same road's locomotives...
-Lee

Royce Wilson

Frankly I feel fortunate that Bachmann has choose to make what they did.We have a wide variety of stuff to bash, personally I love the mogul because it is cheap and it bash's into alot of different locomotives.
I have just purchased the may issue of MR and they do clarify the RC issue so I plan to make my railroad all dead rail.The mogul has alot of room in the tender for those wires and batteries!.

Thank Bachmann
Royce Wilson

Royce Wilson

I meant to add that for the money the mogul is the best buy in the Bachmann fleet and runs vey well.
I have several that have more money in PSC parts than the enginr cost but this was gained over time. I wished Bachmann would do another basic type engine for the entry modelers so this hobby will continue to grow.
We all want that that EBT 2-8-2 engine to go with those hoppers but the adverage On30 layout just ain't that big.
I still would like to see that Aussie sugar cane Baldwin.

Royce