Alco s2 motor noise help

Started by ALCO0001, March 01, 2015, 08:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Ahhhh.  Oh well Jack, live an learn.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO0001

Update on noise,
Well the new motor noise got worse instead of breaking in so I PULLED IT apart again .Lost count how many times anyhow I noticed that the bearing were still wet like they were when I RECIEVED THE NEW MOTOR .i cleaned them off with a shot of break cleaner carefully .THen I dried them off and re lubricated with a drop of Castrol high mileage part synthetic 10w 40 that I stock in the shop.made sure the oil worked its way in,cleaned excess and reinstalled.SMOOOTH AND SILENT AL ALL SPEEDS! Apparently they sent me a nice tight motor ,but used cheap lube on the bearings.I LET IT run for a few hours around the main at about 5 scale miles per hour and it can be compared to your atlas hats ect.. Impressive .So the gear ratio on these is perfect for a switcher ,but when you run it in a consist on the main the rpm's are quite a bit higher .So if you do not used a quality oil on these motor bearings and run them at main line speeds your bearings will after 3 motors in 3 years fry and that will start the noise and the self destruction of the motor.Tese have to be lubed with a good quality synthetic oil compared to others because of the rpm's they can run at compared to there speed.Just some facts from a bunch of trial and error /
Jack ;D

Jerrys HO

AS I said before Bachmann's Quality Control guy or is it Bachmann's worse nightmare ;D

ALCO0001

Jerrys HO

Quote from: ALCO0001 on March 10, 2015, 10:32:23 PM
Thanks,I think  ;D
J

Where'd you go! I liked how you picked apart the Value series. They were meant for the guy's who could not afford the high end stuff and only wanted the basic sounds.
I am going to miss you, I think  ;D
J

electrical whiz kid

Hunt;
I was not in any way suggesting anything Atlas; one way or the other.  Nigel had been a tremendous help to many modellers, myself included.  I was suggesting looking him up, and Atlas was the only avenue I was aware of.  Sorry to have ruffled any feathers there on the top floor.  Just as an aside; Probably about 90% of my motive power is Bachmann, and I am a firm supporter of them.
SGTC.