How set quite mode on F7A diesel so engine is silent when DCC is powered on.

Started by wbokhoven, March 03, 2015, 04:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbokhoven

When DCC is powered on, F7A Diesel sound is activated. I want quiet mode until engine is addressed. CV 113 does not work for me.

Hunt

Use F8 to turn sound on/off.

CV 113 Quite Mode Timeout Period feature is not supported in a Sound Value decoder.

wbokhoven

Thanks Hunt for the fast response.
I agree F8 will turn sound off, but it requires a physical response which occurs after the noise has disturbed the ambience I want when the display is 1st turned. I have MTH, Broadway Limited, and other Loco's that are silent until activated by the MRC Prodigy2 system as I was able to program them via CV commands.
CV 113 Quiet Mode works on some Tsunami diesels, but evidently not on this model.
I still hope someone has a cure, or this Bachmann will go in the closet.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: wbokhoven on March 03, 2015, 07:36:03 PM
Thanks Hunt for the fast response.
I agree F8 will turn sound off, but it requires a physical response which occurs after the noise has disturbed the ambience I want when the display is 1st turned. I have MTH, Broadway Limited, and other Loco's that are silent until activated by the MRC Prodigy2 system as I was able to program them via CV commands.
CV 113 Quiet Mode works on some Tsunami diesels, but evidently not on this model.
I still hope someone has a cure, or this Bachmann will go in the closet.

All other's mentioned have that feature. Sadly Bachmann does not on any that I know of as it sounds like you are looking for startup mode.
Realize also the Bachmann decoder is not a true SoundTraxx decoder just one built to Bach's spec's. Ask Jack (Alco 1000)

bapguy

Use F8 to mute the loco until you want to run it. When done with the loco, use F8 to mute. When you shut down the layout and restart it the next time, that loco should be silent until you press F8 to turn on the sound.  Joe

Joe Satnik

Bigger Hammer solution:

Park the offending loco on a power routed turnout, or on a stretch of track with one rail isolated and powered with an electrical switch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: Signature
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Trainman203

Cv 113 is gold.  When you power up the layout, no sound comes on unless you move the engine.

If sound value is ever re engineered, I'd do the following.  Add cv 113 on all. On steam engines, add Dynamo and get rid of diesel era headlight dimming.  Add the big coupler crash like on medium steam.  That's not much.  Add 2 cv's and replace one with another, it would still be a "value".  What sound value did , which is fine with me, is lose all the useless Fireman Fred stuff and all of the even more useless Byzantine speed tables.  I'd like the EQ cv 153 also but ...... Gotta keep it a " value".

At least they did not use 1950s gimmicky spelling  and call it "sound-valu".

wbokhoven

Using F8 to silence F7 before shutting down DCC has no effect when restarting DCC. F7 roars into life. I now have it parked on a siding that is only powered when the turnout activates it, but that is a lousy fix. I now look at the CV options available for programming before buying a Loco. I reprogram all Loco's so that the same F key has the same function on any Loco, regardless of Manufacturer.,i.e.
F3 is Grade Crossing, F9 is Engine Start/Stop. Makes operation so much easier.
I really appreciate all the responses. At least I now know it is a deficiency in the product and not my ignorance in proper procedure.

austrian

Lots of useful information here! I will add isolated sections to my diesel service area.

Thomas

wbokhoven

I finally came up with a partial cure. Using POM [programming on main], I set CV 128 to value 0 and this eliminates any sound on DCC startup for this engine. When I want sound, I reprogram CV 128 to any value from 1 to 255. Not ideal, but a way around the problem.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Having all your DCC locos parked on live track is not the best idea.  

Problem 1. Noise

Problem 2. Power Drain.  Idling trains and their lights rob power from running trains, their lights, and stationary decoders (turnouts, e.g.).  

It's hard to run more than 2 or 3 locos at once without running them into each other, anyway.

If the rest are off, you may not have to buy a power booster.

My advice? Park 'em on a switched off siding.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik  
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.