EZ Command Control Center and Walk Around Companion

Started by austrian, March 06, 2015, 11:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrian

Hello! I am new to this forum and new into American HO and English is not my native language so please apologize if my questions sound silly!

I am building an U shaped layout that I want to run with my children and visitors that are not model railroader, so I prefer an easy to use control system. I thought of using the control center from the Thunder Chief trainset and add 3 pieces of 44908 connector panels and a 44907 walk around companion. Later I could add a 2nd 44907 and 44910 power booster.
I have started collecting a fleet of locos, all Bachmann, I intend to use 7 locos in total but not at the same time so there are still addresses free on the control center for visiting locos. If I run a max of 3 sound fitted locos at the same time I think 1 booster should be enough? Would it be possible to run two sound value locos at the same time without booster - it would be nice to add the booster a little later and use the money now to complete the fleet.

I really would appreciate some input and discussion as I am living in Roco and Maerkling territory and Bachmann Trains as Model Railway supplier is alien to all the local modellers and LHS cannot order Bachmann items.

Hunt

The WALK-AROUND COMPANION Item No. 44907 could be hard to find. It is not listed in the Bachmann 2015 Catalog. 

austrian

Thanks for the info! I just checked the Bachmann web store and it shows "sorry this item is temporarily out of stock". Unfortunately as my 2015 catalogue still not has arrived I only now checked the online one and it really is no longer in the  catalogue. Too bad I ordered the Trainset and the connector panels....
Can`t imagine why it is discontinued as the control center is still available and used in sets - but it is pointless without the upgrade option of the companion - or can I use a 2nd control center instead of the companion?
I hope Bachmann will not discontinue the EZ command system as in my opinion it is the most user friendly system to start.

Hunt

Only one E-Z Command Control Center can be used.

austrian

Searched the web, found a Companion in stock and ordered it immediately.  ;D

The Santa Fe F7B is no longer in the catalogue, so probably discontinued, too. :o

To be on the safe side,  I ordered one, too.  ::)

Thomas

Jhanecker2

austrian:  Question ?   How are you powering the  system ?   American  HO trains are usually sold with  120 VAC 60 Hz  power supplies.  European power I believe is  220 VAC  50 Hz ,  and uses different electrical  connectors .  Do bachmann trains  sold in Europe have the  correct regional  power supplies ?
John2.

austrian

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on March 07, 2015, 01:12:55 PM
austrian:  Question ?   How are you powering the  system ?   American  HO trains are usually sold with  120 VAC 60 Hz  power supplies.  European power I believe is  220 VAC  50 Hz ,  and uses different electrical  connectors .  Do bachmann trains  sold in Europe have the  correct regional  power supplies ?
John2.

I use a  220 VAC  50 Hz  transformer to power the EZ command control center. The transformer came with the EZ command control center in a Bachmann Branchlines OO gauge start set from the UK. The voltage in the UK is the same as in Austria, just a simple adapter is needed as the connectors are different. I think Bachmann does not offer American HO stuff in Austria and Germany as the Trainsets available in Germany (where I mailorder my stuff from) come with American voltage and connecters and are ordered by the Hobby stores from the USA - dunno wheter via Walthers or direct from Bachmann.

Thomas

Jhanecker2

Austrian: Thank you for the speedy reply .  Thank goodness that they shipped the correct power supply .  How is the weather in Austria ? I currently live about
100 kilometers northwest of Chicago .   We normally  have snow & cold  From  December till April , some more or less of both .  I still have  10 to 15 cm with a frozen top crust of 1 cm.  It is supposed to be above freezing this weekend and hopefully  a good deal will melt .  Hope you had better weather . My relatives in Bayern were  complaining about the cold .  Guten Tag .  John2

austrian

John2: today we had a sunny day, not too cold. This winter we had very few really cold days and very little snow. Rather strange winter.

Thomas

kdgrant6

You may not need a booster. I am able to run 4 locos (3 with sound, all Bachmann ) at the same time with just the EZ COMMAND controller. I have less than 100 ft of EZ Track. Hope this helps.'

austrian

Thanks for this Information, I will not run more than 3 locos at the same time.

Thomas