News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My first Santa Fe layout

Started by austrian, March 08, 2015, 01:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

The depot is about what we have in Okhoma and eastern Kansas.  How ever the far end was baggage and on this end is an open air waiting room.  Most of them are red brick because we had some many brick plants along the lines. The freight house I think is really a REA and not a freight house. 

austrian

Quote from: RAM on March 15, 2015, 11:02:23 PM
The depot is about what we have in Okhoma and eastern Kansas.  How ever the far end was baggage and on this end is an open air waiting room.  Most of them are red brick because we had some many brick plants along the lines. The freight house I think is really a REA and not a freight house. 

So I could add a REA wagon to my passenger train.
Just found that Walhters has a new Santa Fe depot that I think is red brick and I am considering this as my 2nd depot - but if it is from a different region will it look right on the layout?
https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-4055

Len

Both of those buildings are based on Santa Fe prototypes built in the 1930's, several of which are still around. The color brick used was strictly a funchtion of what was available in the area, there wasn't a specified standard.

The depot was used in areas with enough population to support regular passenger service, the freight house in places with a significant amount of freight traffic, but not that much demand for passenger service.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

NMWTRR

A little more information on the Station building. The adobe style was used in the Southwest. I believe the building prototype is in Portales New Mexico.  There is a very similar station still standing in Las Cruces New Mexico. The roof outline on the ticket booth is slightly different though. I believe the brick structures were used in the mid west.

the Bach-man

Boys!
Don't make me stop this board!
the Bach-man

austrian

Thank you all for your valuable information.

Now to bring this thread out of the deep water and back to more board related matters:
Have you ever fancied to run one of this nice hot shot intermodal trains but found your layout to small?
In the MBI 1997 Railroad Color History book "Santa Fe Railway" I found some inspiration to order some more rolling stock.
A picture on page 60 shows a train from the early days of the intermodal Super C service, this train has a really layout friendly train lenght: A Santa Fe warbonnet F7A+F7B lashup, a SINGLE flatcar with trailer and a caboose. I intend to run a similar train on my layout and will give it priority over all other trains - that should prevent the local crews from getting lazy!
My version of this train:
1x Santa Fe (Red & Silver) - F7A - DCC Sound Value item 64301
1x Santa Fe (Red & Silver) - F7B - DCC Sound Value item 64401
2x Santa Fe 52ft flat car w/ Navajo Freight Lines 35ft Trailer item 16701 (I like the Navajo trailer!)
1x Santa Fe - 36' Wide-Vision Caboose item 17702

To have some variety I ordered:
Santa Fe - Red Truck Cab & 2 Piggyback Trailers  item 42232
Santa Fe - 52' Flat Car item 17302

Of course this is not for the prototype conscious but for me it will do the job to run a hot freight train if not in fact so in spirit.

Thomas

Jerrys HO

Sorry Mr. B, I didn't think it looked like a restroom either.

austrian

The Thunder Chief trainset has arrived in time for the easter holidays and the F7 really looks nice in blue yellow. And the loco was the main reason to buy the trainset (the EZ command controller the other one).

But what to do if you have a nice blue Santa Fe diesel that is only available in a trainset and your son likes the colour and wants another one? Repaint one? Me? You are kidding?

Fortunately my long years in armchairmodelling have trained me enough to give me confidence in trying the most difficult of operations: open 4 screws, remove SP F7 body, put SF FT body (from Bachmann spares) on chassis, fasten 4 screws.

Now we have a nice sound value Santa Fe FT - and it is already speed matched to the F7s we have ;-)

Thomas

austrian

Had another try on the track plan, still undicided.....

Jerrys HO

Quote from: austrian on April 06, 2015, 08:06:32 AM
Had another try on the track plan, still undicided.....

Do you have any plans to turn the loco around? I do not see any place to reverse the direction.

austrian

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 06, 2015, 08:41:55 AM

Do you have any plans to turn the loco around? I do not see any place to reverse the direction.

I am not sure that turning is necessary for RS-2 and GP 7/9 and will use F7/FT in A-A configuration. Turntable would be nice but the price.......

Jerrys HO

Just making sure you did not have a need for one. Maybe a wye by the yard if you have the room and desire one at some point.

K487

austrian:

I like your track plan.  But you know what?  Every time I look at it in my mind I want to see an easily removable bridge with track on it in the upper right hand area - that would make for a LARGE loop if you want to sit back and enjoy a slow freight train meandering around the  entire layout.

My 2 cents.

K487

Jerrys HO

Quote from: K487 on April 06, 2015, 09:31:08 AM
austrian:

I like your track plan.  But you know what?  Every time I look at it in my mind I want to see an easily removable bridge with track on it in the upper right hand area - that would make for a LARGE loop if you want to sit back and enjoy a slow freight train meandering around the  entire layout.

My 2 cents.

K487

Look again unless I am missing something but adding a bridge would not create a loop around the layout.

K487

Well, of course your are correct.  I think I had it in my mind that the wye would be in there too, but austrian removed it.  I guess I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other!

K487