News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

traction wheels

Started by oldhhobbyreborn, March 11, 2015, 09:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhhobbyreborn

Ok a little help here    I have a few old Bachman ho diesel locos that the rubber traction wheels have fell apart.....do they still offer these little rubbers and if so how the hell do you find them in the catalogs.....anybody got a part number

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

OHRB, even when they had intact traction tires, did you find these locos ran well?
Keep Calm and Carry On

oldhhobbyreborn

For what they are they run well......more reliving old memories that anytime else

electrical whiz kid

Old hobby;
Can I make a suggestion?  Get rid of the traction tires altogether, and get the wheels to level alignment. 
I have never liked those traction tires, pretty much considered them to be more of a maintenance nuisance than anything else.

SGT C.

oldhhobbyreborn

I did that and.lost all pulling.power.......I have two small grades and they won't even pull 5 cars up the grade......found some 8 mm rubbers for dental braces that I am going to try tonight before I deal with Bachmann backorders

jbrock27

I would make a suggestion as well OHRB, but I don't believe you would like it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

OHRB,

I believe SGT C. was suggesting replacing the wheels with traction tire grooves with flat tread wheels. Not running the grooved wheels with no tire.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: Len on March 12, 2015, 08:51:41 PM
OHRB,

I believe SGT C. was suggesting replacing the wheels with traction tire grooves with flat tread wheels. Not running the grooved wheels with no tire.

Len

I'm sure that was the suggestion.

Cheers

Roger T.

oldhhobbyreborn

Ok where do I find those

jward

due to the differences in gearing you may have to pull the wheels off the axles and replace them with solid wheels. even then you will still have a pancake motored locomotive with poor electrical pickup.

perhaps a better solution would be to look into repowering these locomotives. if they are diesels, the f9 should fit the ft/ f7 chassis, and the u36b should fit the b23-7 chassis. in both cases, you would gain a good running locomotive with the bodies from your past.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Considering what you will have to go through for this, the end does not justify the means.  The "old stuff" you see or have may not be worth the effort, considering the newer, better detailed, better running, the ease of DCC installation-as well as the quality-are a no-brainer.  I have older dinosaurs sitting in a shelf somewhere-and believe you me, that is just where they are going to stay.
SGT C.

GN.2-6-8-0

You could also fill the grove with bull frog snot!
Rocky Lives

Joe Satnik

Where does one get bull frog snot?

Bull frog handkerchiefs, of course. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rogertra

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on March 16, 2015, 09:27:33 AM
You could also fill the grove with bull frog snot!

No you could not.

BFS is not a solid.

Best thing to do is replace the wheels.  IMNSHO, traction tires are awful things.  As shown in this post they wear out, or get loose, or disintegrate and after a few years, the manufacturer discontinues them so it becomes difficult if not impossible to replace them.  Other major issue with traction tires is they do not permit the wheels to spin if the loco is overloaded and stalls, this leads to early burnout of the motor.

On a quality manufactured locomotive, traction tires are not required.  This is why few of the leading quality model builders rarely offer traction tires and if they do, they also provide replace a set of regular wheels so that the traction tire wheels can easily be replaced.  If traction tires where such a good idea, all models would come equipped with them and they don't.

If a model comes with traction tires, I for one will never buy one.

Cheers

Roger T.