Williams 44-Tonners are here!

Started by InsideTrack, March 13, 2015, 11:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsideTrack

brianel027

So has it actually been determined that these engines will clear 027 switches, and negotiate 027 curves without derailing cars?

I asked this question many months ago, based upon the pre-production photos, with the very narrow coupler openings on the loco. The answer was never confirmed.

Bucksco

The Loco has been tested on 0 27 track and turnouts and functions well. That being said, some freight cars may work better with this loco on 0 27 than others due to the tight pivot of the coupler. This would be an issue with the rolling stock - not the locomotive.

phillyreading

I think what the yardmaster is saying; don't use the 44 ton engine with either 16 freight cars or 21 inch passenger cars as it might cause a derailment.

I had a problem using a GP-38 with a 21 inch passenger car at the coupler area, the 21 inch passenger car worked fine when used with an SD-45 diesel.

Another thing that I have done is to use Gargraves switches with 027 track, the switch won't let an engine hit the housing like most 027 switches may do.

Lee F.

3rail

A couple of details on the new locomotive.

1. The motors with flywheels are mounted inside the trucks allowing ample space for 3rd party electronics inside the body.

2. The locomotive runs smoothly on O-27 curves and will not derail cars that normally don't derail on O-27 track. The coupler is mounted to the frame and pivots independently of the truck.

3. The sound for the locomotive has been recorded from an actual 44 ton locomotive with the original Caterpillar Prime movers. If you wish to adjust the volume see this post.

4. During testing the locomotive has demonstrated that it has enough power to pull 9 Williams box cars and two 60 ft Heavyweight cars on a straight and level track.

Regards,

3rail