News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track suddenly went dead

Started by tjarla, March 15, 2015, 03:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjarla

I have a layout with EZ track. It was working fine then about 2/3 of it went dead. It is a simple loop with a turnout for a siding. I cannot find a break in the track. Any suggestions?

Trainman203

The rail joiners are either loose or oxidized .  Take the track apart and  put it back togerther  using different sections in different places than before.  See how that works.  Next step is to ever so slightly (VERY VERY SLIGHTLY) crimp the rail joiners a little to grab the adjacent rail a little better.  Try these and report back.

tjarla

This is all brand new track. I double checked and all the connections appear tight and aligned.

Joe Satnik

Dear tj,

Scroll down about half-way through this thread for my reply on track joint troubleshooting:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,26055.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Trainman203

New to you doesn't mean it's actually brand new. It could have been in a warehouse for a year or more, oxidizing away.  Plus, quality control is not always tops, anywhere. I read joe's information, it is all good.  Best of luck, you'll find it and fix the problem.

I have an 8 year old layout with several yards and sidings.  Every now and then a section goes dead just like yours.  My track is now fixed under ballast and scenery so I have to do some soldering to correct my problems. The point is that it happens to everyone. Maintenance is a part of every model railroad.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

I've had my share of similar problems with EZ track.  One way to approach the problem is to isolate the problem. 

Run a locomotive slowly around the layout from the terminal.  When it stops, note the location.  Separate the track, and re-connect it.  If a straight piece is involved, simply turn it around.  make sure there's a smooth connection between pieces.  Make sure that the rail joiner has not slipped under the rail.  Make sure that the joiner is not deformed in any way.  It could be that in the process of running your layout (and especially if you didn't have it locked in place), you layout shifted enough to expose underlying problems connections.

The pros in this forum are free to correct me, but I assume that electricity will flow without interruption if the track isn't oxidized and if the joiners are actually appropriately joining the rails so that there is a flow of electricity.

Don't worry.  You'll get it right.

jbrock27

When you say "loop" TeeJay, can you be a little more descriptive?  Did you just create this set up?  Is it possible that you created a reverse loop and this is where the problem is occurring?

Kd gives some good suggestions, so does TMThe Professor's trouble shooting steps are very comprehensive as well.  To TM's point about it being new to you, but not necessarily "brand new", it is possible the rail joiners at your problem location have been put together and taken apart enough times that the rail joiners are loosey goosey and therefore not making good contact? What happens if you wiggle the track a little in the problem spot?  I had this happen with 1 joiner on the EZ track set up around the Xmas tree.  It got so used it got loose fitting and no longer a very good conductor.
Keep Calm and Carry On